15.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN | CONFUSING  
***

The following day, I was heading to the shop where I'd last seen Daphne. An overwhelming sadness filled me. She's really gone. I sighed and pushed the door open.

   The shop was unusually quiet. Only a couple sat at one corner of the shop, kissing the hell out of each other. I scrunched my nose and chose a seat far away from them. I picked up a menu, my eyes skimming across the laminated paper.

   "Hey," a familiar voice called out to me. 

   I glanced up and smiled at August. "Hey."

   He sat opposite me, two cups of coffee in his hands. I frowned.

   "I haven't even ordered anything yet," I said.

   He grinned. "I know. I actually have today off, since it's my birthday."

   "Oh." My smile widened. "Happy birthday!" Then I frowned. "Shouldn't you be with Lauren?" 

   He shrugged. "She's kind of busy. It doesn't matter, really. Anyway, you look kind of tired."

   "I haven't slept in a week," I admitted. "There's a lot on my mind right now."

   "Want to vent it out?" he asked, his smile lopsided. 

   I blushed slightly. 

   "I-it's actually really embarrassing…" A nervous laugh slipped out my lips. 

   He rolled his eyes. "My whole life is embarrassing. This would be nothing compared to that, trust me."

   I honestly felt a little better. But, I barely knew the guy. I didn't want to give the wrong message by trusting him with something so…sudden.

   "You promise you won't laugh?" I said. 

   "On my life," he assured.

   I laughed. "That was such a cheesy thing to say, but thanks." I bit my lip. "Uh, well, I'm kind of in love with my best friend…"

   As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew there was no denying. I was in love with Mathew.

   "Ah." His smile was replaced with a frown. "How close are you guys?"

   "Almost twelve years of friendship," I mumbled.

   "Damn," he whistled.

   "But, the thing is, we hadn't talked in five years," I found myself saying. "The past two months have been pretty confusing. There's him, and his brother, and my best friend, and my parents…" I sighed. "It's getting too much, August."

   He reached for my hand and squeezed it comfortingly. "It's going to be alright again. That day, the girl you were with, she's your best friend?"

   I nodded. "Yeah."

   "Stay with people like her," he aid softly. "They'll help you through this, just you watch."