20.

CHAPTER TWENTY | GOODBYES
***

A month later, I stood in my room, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

"Okay, here's the last box," said August, dumping a cardboard box in front of me. "What are we packing here?"

"Just whatever's left," I answered.

He nodded and we got to work, picking up the leftover items littered across the floor and stacking them in the box.

"It's a shame you're moving to New York," he said as I taped the box up. "You're a really great friend, you know that?"

"Thanks," I laughed. "And I want to start over, Gus. After everything that's happened here, I think that's what I need."

He knew what I was talking about. "Right, of course, I get it. Sorry I asked." He sighed.

"I'll miss you, too, August," I scoffed playfully, smiling. "We can still talk."

He didn't bother answering, a grin spreading across his face. I clicked in the last piece of tape and patted the box.

"Well, the car's going to be here in a bit," I said, pushing the box to stand with with three others. "Help me carry these down?"

"Of course," he answered. "But first, um, can I have some water?"

"Yeah, okay." I wiped my hands on my shirt. "I'll ask Sam for some snacks as well."

"Cool."

Giving him one last smile, I sauntered down the stairs and entered the kitchen. Samantha was standing by the window, watching over our lunch being simmered in a pot.

"Hey," I chirped, grabbing two glasses from a cabinet.

She whirled around, clutching her chest. "Dear lord, Tessa, you nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"Sorry," I laughed. "Gus and I just wanted some snacks."

"Ah, but lunch is just about ready," she said, folding her arms across her chest. "Can't you both wait?"

"Okay, works with me." I shrugged, pouring water into the glasses. "What are you making, by the way?"

"Hmm, can you guess?" she challenged, grinning softly. "I'll give you a hint: you love it."

"Chinese?" I squealed.

She nodded, laughing. "I thought it would be a nice way to say goodbye."

I set the glasses down, smiling gently, and engulfed her in a tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you so much," I mumbled, burying my face in her shoulder. "I'll always remember you - that's a promise. Just you wait, Sam; I'm going to get you and John the most lavish life I can. You deserve it."

"I'm going to miss you, too," she whispered, clutching me tightly.

And didn't say anything other than that.

A long while later, she pulled away, brushing tears away from her face, smiling weakly. I sighed.

"I'm sorry," I said, looking down. "I know it's stupid of me to leave you both here by yourselves...but I have to."

"I know you do," she agreed. "Go live your life, Tessa."

Our moment was interrupted by the doorbell. Muttering a quick, "I'll get it," I hurried to the front door and pulled it open, expecting to see my parents.