16.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | WORRYING
***

The next morning could be pretty much summed up in one word: torture. After sleepless nights and busy days, it was back to school again.

We usually got a week or two off before the final exam's mood set in. Teachers became more strict and, worst of all, so did the parents.

"We're picking you up after school," Mom announced at the breakfast table.

I opened my mouth to protest, but the stern look Samantha gave me shut me up; they'd clearly discussed this.

"That sounds great." I tried my best to sound cheerful and enthusiastic, pulling on my best smile. "I'll be waiting outside."

"Wonderful!" Mom clasped her hands together and beamed at Dad. "I can't wait to see her school, can you?"

"Neither can I," he laughed.

I felt a bitter taste in my mouth, and it wasn't the cereal. There was something about her excitement that made me feel nervous, like she was expecting something grand.

Everything went by in a blur, till the moment I was standing in front of the school's parking lot. The grey clouds hung around the sky lazily, mirroring my internal emotions.

"Hey," a voice called out to me.

I looked around. A small wave of relief washed over me when I saw Mathew making his way over to me, a crooked grin on his face.

"Nice to see you after a while, Matt," I joked. The reality of everything sunk in and I tried to smile to hide my feelings.

He dug his hands into his pockets, smile gone, and let out a breath sigh. "Yeah, about that...I really am sorry, Tess."

"It's not that of a big deal," I assured. "You honestly don't need to always hang out with me."

His eyes wouldn't meet mine. My heart sank. A silence fell over us and he cleared his throat.

"That's not what I meant," he mumbled.

I frowned. "Huh?"

"N-never mind." He glanced around nervously, scratching his neck.

My heart sank even further into my sea of worry. Why is he acting so weird? Instead of voicing my thoughts, I pretended to remember something.

"Oh, I had to meet up with Miss Hubert this morning," I lied. "She wanted to ask me about our classes."

"Okay." He tried to hide it, but his relief was evident. "I'll see you around?"

"Yeah."

I turned around, walking away as quickly as my tired self would allow me to, and spared a glance over my shoulder. His eyes were on me. I blushed and walked into the toasty building without another backward look.

"Ah, Tessa." I whipped around and met Ms. Hubert's warm smile. "Mind if we have a chat in my office?"

I was just glad I hadn't completely lied to Mathew. Shrugging, I followed her down the hallway and we entered her office. My eyes drifted to the clock above her desk. 8:09 a.m.