21.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE | TWELVE YEARS LATER
***

I sat on my couch, sipping a cup of green tea, swamped in fluffy blankets. Winter that year was brutal because the central heating system had frozen.

A soft knocking came from the front door, making me smile. I'd been expecting an editor for a while now - she was the only one who'd called me up when I'd sent out a copy of my novel.

Setting the cup on the coffee table, I left the warmth of my blankets and padded across the carpeted floor barefoot. I pulled the door open, smiling widely.

"Come in -" I started, but stopped when I saw who was at the door. "- Aaron?"

Even at twenty-nine, he looked like the mischievous child he'd always been. His ginger hair was hastily combed, bordering his steel grey eyes. He was wearing a wooly sweater and jeans, holding the hand of a beautiful black-haired lady.

"Hey, Tessa," he greeted, smiling gently. "Can we come in?"

I was still stunned, but managed a nod. They entered my apartment and I shut the door behind us, sitting back on the couch as they sat opposite me on beanbags.

"Um, so why the sudden visit?" I asked, pulling my arms into a grey sweater. "I'm, uh...expecting someone."

"Yeah, we know." The lady laughed. "I'm Rachel Wright."

Realization struck me like a truck. "You're...you're the editor."

"Indeed, I am," she answered, smiling.

Aaron bit back a smile of his own.

"Rachel and I are engaged," he explained. "We're getting married in two months."

"Oh, congratulations!" I beamed, clutching the cup in my hands even tighter. "Um, and you didn't bother telling me?"

"I only recently proposed to her," he defended. "Three weeks ago. And with all the wedding preparations...well, I'm a busy man."

I felt guilty for asking him such a stupid question. "Right, sorry, I didn't realize. Stupid question."

"No, it's fine," Aaron assured, chuckling.

I looked down at the green tea sitting in my cup and asked, "Tea?"

I glanced up to find Aaron smiling broadly.

"I thought you'd never ask," he answered. "Is it those packets Samantha sent you?"

"Yeah, how did you know?" I frowned.

"She told me," he replied, scratching his neck sheepishly. "I, uh, was planning on a visit for a while now."

"Really?" I didn't mean to sound so surprised. "I mean, wow, okay, I just didn't expect you to. We kind of, um..."

"...fell out?" he finished, wincing. "Yeah. I know, it's been twelve years, but still. Maybe we can mend things?"

"Over tea," Rachel interrupted, smiling. "I'll go make some."

I stood up, setting the cup back down. "No, no, it's fine, I can -"

"Tessa, darling, you don't know how long I've been waiting for this," she cut me off. "Aaron told me all about you - he won't ever shut up, really - and I need this to be figured out." She got up, planting a quick kiss on Aaron's cheek. "Okay, ciao!" And she disappeared into my small kitchen.

I sat back down, arching my eyebrows at him.

"Geez, what have you put the woman through?" I asked. "Talking about me so much? Her ears must have fallen off."