13.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN | A CHANCE
***

(A/N: This chapter is shorter than normal, sorry. It's more of a filler chapter.)

"Are you alright?"

   I looked up, removing my face from between my hands, and smiled weakly at Mathew.

   "Yeah, just a little shocked," I muttered.

   He sat next to me on the bed and squeezed my shoulders. I sighed.

   "They're all worried about you downstairs," he said softly. "I think you should give it another chance."

   I looked away. My eyes were casted to the floor in embarrassment. I may or may not have overreacted by running up into my room as soon as my real parents approached me.

   "Hey, it's nothing to feel bad about," Mathew assured. "If I met my parents for the first time in sixteen years, I'd probably run away as well."

   I looked back up at him. "Yeah, but still. I-it's just...why did they come here?"

   "Why did they send you away, first of all?" he asked.

   I sighed. "Long story short, my dad was a wanted man."

   "Oh." He was silent for a moment. "Maybe everything's okay now?"

   "No, Matt, nothing is okay."

   "I didn't -"

   "She's going...Daphne's moving away."

   He gasped. "What? When?"

   "Tomorrow," I mumbled. "I can't believe this...it feels like a nightmare. I want out of this nightmare, Matt."

   "Don't say that." He spun me around so I was facing him. "Don't you dare ever say that again."

   "I want to go away, Matt. I don't want to be here..."

   "Stop it, please. Don't say that. I'm still here. Okay? I'm not going to leave you again."

   He hugged me tightly and I blinked back the tears. Stop goddamn crying, you have to be stronger than this.

   "Want to give it another shot?" he asked.

   "Do I really have a choice?" I sighed.

   He shrugged. "It's up to you, Tess. I'd say give them a chance - try to sort things out. You'll feel better, I promise." 

   "Fine. Let's go."

   He took my hand and led me out the room. I felt electricity shoot up my spine. Oh god. We walked down the staircase and entered the living room.

   "Tessa, honey, we're so sorry we didn't tell you about this," Mom sighed - or should I call her Samantha?

   I looked her in the eyes. "I was so worried about you. You never answered my calls or replied to my texts."

   "I...I was busy," she mumbled.

   "That's not a reason. I was busy as well. I was trying not to let the stress of your well-being get in the way of my job - oh, and did I mention the cafe got burnt down? Still, I left you a message every single day."

   Silence. I turned around to walk away, but Mathew took hold of my hand again. Squeezed it in assurance. I got the message: Give them a chance.