11.

CHAPTER ELEVEN | WHAT THE HELL
***

I gasped and tried to push Mathew off. What the hell was he trying to do?

  "What's wrong?" he asked again, his face now an inch away from mine.

   I couldn't even think straight. But, I managed to blurted out,

   "I-I'll tell you if y-you let m-me go..."

   He smirked slightly. "I knew I was making you uncomfortable."

   I tried to glare at him. He got the message and stepped away from me. I gulped in as much oxygen as I could and glared at him properly.

   "What was that for?" I hissed, rubbing my wrists.

   He shrugged. "I don't know. Now, spill."

   I rolled my eyes. He arched his eyebrows.

   "Don't make me do that again," he threatened.

   I huffed, but didn't push it. I sat back in the bed and picked the locket up again.

   "It's just, my parents - foster ones - have to go to New York every two months or so," I mumbled. "I know it's because of me, but I don't know the specific reason. And...and they're usually gone a week, but a month has gone by, and they're still not home."

   "And that's is?" he asked.

   I was about to say, "Uh, no, you're part of the reason as well," but decided against it.

   "Yeah."

   He broke into a grin. "Okay, good, because I was scared for a moment there."

   I frowned in confusion. What?

   "You have nothing to worry about," he assured. "I'm sure they'll be back soon. Nothing will happen to them, Teri."

   "You don't know my real parents," I protested.

   "And neither do you," he pointed out. "Relax, Tessa, and enjoy what's around you."

   I sighed. "If you say so."

   "Awesome." He grinned. "Come on, let's go watch a movie. The night is still young."

   "It's ten," I retorted.

   "Exactly," he laughed. "A Netflix marathon?"

   "Sure."

   "I'll go get some snacks," he offered.

   I shrugged. "Sure."

   "Pop tarts?"

   "Sure."

   "Say something other than sure," he huffed.

   "Sure."

   I laughed at his pout. He stuck his tongue out at me - which was really cute, by the way - and left the room.

   I let out a shaky breath and tied my hair up into a pony tail, making sure nothing fell into my eyes. It helped me think a little better for some reason.