8.

CHAPTER SEVEN | DEJA VU
***

The next few weeks flew by in a blur. I followed the same routine: wake up, go to school, tutor, bakery, then sleep. Yeah, I took up a full-time job at my parents' bakery and delivered cakes every weekend. Not the easiest job, if you ask me.

   "Thank you so much," Thomas, the main baker, said one day after closing time. "We all appreciate the help and support you're giving us."

   I smiled. "It's my pleasure, Thomas. Any cakes need delivering tonight?"

   He shook his head and hung his apron on the designated hook. I finishing wiping the counter and slipped my coat on.

   "Bye," I called over my shoulder and stood on the side-walk, shivering under the cold air.

   "Hey, you," I heard somebody say.

   I looked up and rolled my eyes at Mathew. "You're late."

   "I'm never late," he scoffed. "You're just early."

   I snorted. "Whatever you say."

   He sheepishly shrugged and rolled the window up. I made my way into the passenger seat and put my bag on my lap.

   "How was work?" he asked as we drove on.

   "Okay," I responded, shrugging. "I mean, I'm earning money, so I guess it's better than nothing."

   He nodded slowly. "Any news on your parents?"

   I sighed and bit my lip. Mom and Dad were still in New York and that scared me a lot. Why? Well, since a month had passed by a week before. I tried her cell everyday, but...

   "Don't worry," Mathew's assuring voice cut through my thoughts. "I'm sure they're fine. Maybe they just got caught up by the work."

   If only you knew why they visited New York every six months, I thought bitterly. I felt a sudden hatred towards myself and looked away from him. We stopped in front of my house and I forced a smile.

   "See you tomorrow," I muttered, putting a hand on the handle and pulling.

   But the doors were locked.

   I had a sense of deja vu as Mathew forced me to look at him.

   "What aren't you telling me?" he asked quietly.

   I faked a laugh. "What are you talking about?"

   "You know very well what I'm talking about, Tessa. I just...I thought we'd quit keeping secrets from each other. "

   A silence passed through us. I averted my gaze from his and squirmed out of his grip. I tried the door again and was relieved to find it unlocked. Stepping outside, I look a last glance of Mathew's look of hurt, before closing the door softly.

***

The next day at school, I was panting from my walk; Mathew hadn't been there to pick me up. And, surprisingly, I was disappointed and - though I hated to admit it - a little sad. It scared me. I had to keep my guard up...

   "Stop over-thinking everything," Daphne scoffed as we sat down for our Literature class. "Just admit that you missed him when he didn't come."

   I rolled my eyes, but it was true. "Shut up."

   The teacher walked in and Daphne didn't annoy me for the rest of the lesson - thank god. She was determined to improve her grades that semester, which would be a real miracle if you ask me. So, I guess the first step would be paying attention in class.