9.

CHAPTER NINE | 2012
***

"There you are!"

   I looked up from my book and smiled at an eleven year old Mathew. His arms were hooked around Aaron and a football.

   "We were looking for you everywhere," he whined. "Come on, we're playing football."

   My eyes widened. "A-are you sure?"

   "Well, duh, dummy," he said. "You're, like, the best. So, hurry up."

   He let go of Aaron and walked away. Aaron grinned at me.

   "He's right," he assured. "Besides, it'll be so much more fun with you."

   "You're just saying that," I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

   "Fine, have it your way."  

    He reached forward and grabbed my book. I jumped to my feet when he took a step back.

   "Give it back, Ron," I said, trying to keep calm - that was Mom's only copy of her favourite childhood book.

   He smirked. "Get it if you can."

   And he took off.

   I jumped to my feet and ran after him. Luckily, he hadn't gone that far. Unluckily, he was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the football field.

   That sneaky kid, I thought as I made my way over to him. I should've seen that coming.

   "Hey, Tess," Aaron called out, smiling innocently. "I thought you weren't playing."

   I folded my arms across my chest. "Well, I wasn't, till somebody came and stole my book."

   His grin only widened. I pouted.

   "Give it back, Ron," I pleaded. "I don't know what Mom will say if I lose her only copy of The Divide."

   "Only if you play," he bargained.

   I glared at him, but when he didn't budge, I sighed. "Fine."

   The boys around him cheered and Mathew slapped his back affectionately. I pulled off my large sweatshirt, revealing a tank top.

   "Have you made the teams?" I asked.

   A boy nodded. "Yep. You're playing with Matt, Ryan, Sam, Dylan, Kirk, and me."

   "As always." I smiled.

   Mathew slung his arm around me and squeezed. "We wouldn't have it any other way, Tessa."

   I swatted him away with a laugh.

   "Yeah, yeah. Okay, let's start?"

   The twelve of us split into our respective teams across the field. A breeze ruffled past as we positioned ourselves.

   "Let's go kick some ass," Mathew cheered.

   I laughed.

   An hour later, Mathew, Aaron, and I were sitting on the grass, sweating. My sweatshirt lay under me, serving as a sort of cushion. 

   "That was pretty fun," I admitted. "But, can I have my book back now?"

   Aaron laughed and handed me the tattered paperback. "No need to get to hyped over a book, Tess."