Hero? And who is he?!

I don't remember when exactly but somewhere along telling Amal how miserable I've been feeling, I'd started to cry.

I told her everything, from the recent breakdowns to feeling worthless. Amal gave me a sceptical look. "You think you're worthless?" I shook my head. "It's like I have no purpose. Rana has her brother to take care of and I have no one. I have money Amal, loads of it. I have a good job, car, home and a bright future. But what do I do with all that money? Occasionally, I feed a beggar or donate some to an orphanage or organization but... I just feel this... emptiness inside me. Everyday when I walk into my apartment. I'm spent, absolutely exhausted, and I just stare at it. It's big for someone living alone, yes it's modern and cosy but I just don't feel like its home anymore."

Amal smiled, like she knew this was coming. She took a deep breath then told me to come sit next to her. I pulled up a chair and barely sat when she took my manicured hands in her fragile ones with wrinkled skin and protruding veins. The irony.

Then she looked into my eyes and began "Talia, you're not worthless, you're a hero."

I gave her a blank look. I mean I knew she was going to say something to try and make me feel better but... really?

Seeing the look on my face she continued "Life is a long journey, a tough one too. Some people are just too busy coping. Some people are so self emersed in their own problems to look up and see that those around them are having bigger or more serious problems. But you, you are not like that. You moved away from your family, came her to look for a good college, you were still struggling with accommodation, trying to find a job that covers your expenses. You were still trying to cope.

But when your uncle and his wife died suddenly, who was there for Rana? Who helped her and Faris not just financially and physically but also emotionally? When students are in their senior year of college, they want to focus. But you still took them in. I remember when you told me all this, when you told me Rana was so shaken, you thought she was getting depressed. That her grades were dropping and Faris was being neglected. He was too young to lose his parents, barely in first grade. And if I was Rana, I would thank Allah that he gave me a cousin like you. So caring and responsible. You helped them out of their dark times... You are a hero."

I appreciated what she just told me. So I wiped my tears smiled and said "Thank you, but I still get these feelings sometimes like I'm so lonely. Like I need a friend."

She sighed "You should appreciate all that you have. A lot of people wish for you life."

"People don't wish for my life," I scoffed "They wish for my bank account balance. I just need a friend."

Amal made me realise something when she said "Talia, you do have friends." I knew she was referring to my friendship group from work : Gale, Ashton, Zoe, Adriana, and Layla. At work I was their boss, but when we went out, hell we just lost it.

Yeah, I do have friends. She voiced my thoughts when she said "Maybe you're in need of someone else, someone you'll be more than friends with." I froze when I saw the twinkle in her eye. As if she wanted me to want that. I decided to play dumb.

"What do you mean? Someone more than friends?" I gave her a skeptucal look. For the millionth time today, her gaze flickered to the door, almost as if she was expecting someone to walk in. I glanced at my watch. It was getting late. I heaved a sigh "I should probably go Amal. It was good seeing you."

"No!" She said quickly "Stay for another half hour."

I had nothing to lose. The documents I took with me just had to be signed, scanned into soft copy and then attached to the company's back up account. I sat back down after nodding an 'ok'.
____________________________________