The Sorting Hat

I saw the most amazing thing ever as I looked out the window. We stopped in front of a gigantic castle that had a candle in every window making it look even more beautiful. The castle was up on a hill with a rocky ledge on this side facing the train.

As we were getting off the train there was this mad that kind of looked like a hobo calling over all the first years. Cole, Jake, and I walked towards him with a big group of other first years. He was explaining something but I wasn't really listening. I just wanted to get inside. I was nervously pulling on the left sleeve of my robes making sure the dark mark was fully covered. What I did hear him say was,

"Get into groups of three and line up." Perfect. I was standing between Cole and Jake, so I took their sleeves in my hands and pulled them towards me.

"Really, did you think we were going to go with someone else?" Jake asked looking down at me.

"Maybe, I don't know you might."

"Lilly I don't know anyone else."

"I don't care, now come on."

We walked through the crowd of people still looking for people to be with and lined up behind the other groups of three. Once everyone was finally done looking for a group, the big man was helping people into small wooden boats. I gulped and took a small step back. Cole grabbed my arm to keep me from sprinting away. I absolutely hate water. My worst fear is drowning, and those little boats look like they could be death traps.

When it was our turn to get in the boats I took the homeless looking man's hand and shakily stepped into the boat. I sat across from Cole and Jake as we began to slowly make our way across the lake. To keep my mind off the fact that we were on a giant lake, I took in my surroundings. On one side was the castle, which looked even bigger from the lake, and on the other side was a field with a forest behind it. It was beautiful even though I couldn't see much of it since it was so dark. The boat ride was finally over about ten minutes later. I practically ran off the boat.

"Whoa, slow down Lilly." Jake said laughing. I turned around and glared at him. He and Cole were taking forever to get off the thing.

"Why don't you hurry up?" I said tapping my foot. They smartened up and got out of the boat. We followed the crowd over to the door where the hobo was.

"Right this way everyone," he said holding the door open for all of us. We went up a couple flights of stairs and regrouped in front of a two giant doors and a teacher. Since we were somewhat near the front of the group we had to at least look like we were listening.

"Hello everyone, I am professor McGonagall. Welcome to Hogwarts." I slightly turned my head to look at the people around me. They all had these dopey smiles on their face and looked like the best thing in their lives was about to happen. I turned back to her as she was explaining what we were supposed to do.

"Is everyone ready?" She asked and everyone nodded. She opened the door into a giant room lit by floating candles. There were four tables filled with students, and another table up a few steps where the teachers were sitting. All eyes were on us as we walked down the middle aisle between two of the tables. We all stopped at a few meters in front of a chair with a strange looking hat on it. The man who was sitting in the middle of all the teachers stood up and smiled at us. He was tall with blue robes and a long white beard.

"Hello first years, I am professor Dumbledore the headmaster. Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is the sorting hat which will sort you into the house you belong in. There are four houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Students, who are in Gryffindor show bravery, are daring and chivalrous. Students in Hufflepuff value hard work, patience, and fair play. Those in Ravenclaw value intelligence and wit, and those in Slytherin ambition, resourcefulness, and are cunning. The sorting hat will now sing its yearly song." Professor Dumbledore said causing the students sitting down to cheer.

The hat started singing about all these crazy things and I couldn't help but smile a little. When it was done everyone clapped. I can honestly say I've never seen a hat sing before. Professor Dumbledore and McGonagall both stepped forward.

"Professor McGonagall will now read off the names. When your name is called, please step forward and sit down." Professor Dumbledore said and stepped behind the chair picking up the hat.

"William Annover." McGonagall said as the first name. A small boy walked through the crowd and nervously sat down. Professor Dumbledore placed the hat down on his head. A minute later the hat called out,

"Hufflepuff!" The kid stood up smiling and walked over to the Hufflepuff table where the kids were cheering. A ton of other names were called. And then professor McGonagall called,

"Cole Johnson." Cole walked forward and sat down on the chair. It didn't take long before the hat said,

"Slytherin!"

A huge grin made its way on his face as he went over to the Slytherin table. They were loudly cheering and patting him on the back. There were more names called until one that made me stop zoning out.

"Harry Potter."

Everyone went quiet. A small boy with glasses walked up and sat down. Really, this is the one person that my cousin failed to kill? That's just sad. The sorting hat took a while to decide which house for the amazing Harry Potter.

"Gryffindor!" The hat finally said. I rolled my eyes. I could probably step on this kid and his house is known for their chivalry. Ha ha, very funny. A few more names were called before mine.

"Lilly Riddle." I saw the teachers eyes go wide as I stepped forward. Some of the kids went quiet, mostly older kids who probably read the newspaper. I smirked and sat down on the chair. The hat almost immediately said,

"Slytherin!" I smiled high fiving some of the other Slytherin kids and sat next to Cole. He smiled and also gave me a high five. Jake was still up there among a few other kids.

"Jake Wesley." McGonagall said and he walked forward. He was like me and the hat immediately said,

"Slytherin!" Jake smirked and sat on the other side of me. I wasn't surprised that the three of us got Slytherin, especially me and Jake. Me because I'm related to the Dark Lord and a Death Eater, and Jake because he has strange ways and is always going to use the violent way before anything else. He and Cole are also Death Eaters, just not as high ranking as I am.

When everyone was sorted, Professor Dumbledore said a speech on how he is glad we are here and he's hoping for a great year, blah, blah, and blah. When he was done a ton of food showed up in the middle of the table. I've never seen so much food in my life.

"Enjoy the feast!" Dumbledore said before sitting down. We all dug in to the amazing food. We never get food like this at the safe house, especially not this much. Once we were all done and dismissed, we were led to the Slytherin dormitory in the dungeon.