VI.

•Summer•
My heart was shattering. It was breaking into a million pieces and each one of those pieces were lit on fire and thrown away. My dad was the only family I had left, and now I've lost him.

It all happened so quick. Maybe if I hadn't been out with friends that night he would have been doing something with me instead of driving. I feel like it's all my fault.

My dad passed last night at exactly 11:59 PM, and I'm devastated. I don't want to get out of bed. Please let something, anything happen so I can get out of school today.

My alarm beeped loudly, thumping into my eardrums, assisting the headache I've developed from crying so much.

I haven't went to sleep. I stared blankly at my wall.

"School, bitch." Stacy yelled to me. I've hated my life since my Dad married that bitch, but now that he's gone I have no where else to go. I put on a large sweater that belonged to Peter, and some leggings. I felt too sad to brush my hair, or even my teeth. The only thing I'm looking forward to is getting to school and hugging Peter. I always love his hugs. They make me never want to let go.

I walk, sluggishly, depressed, empty, to my wretched High School. I stopped by the coffee shop to grab some. Deciding my mood couldn't waste time on cream and sugar, I went for coffee that expressed my whole world right now. Pure black.

I walked up to my locker, avoiding eye contact with everybody, including my small group of friends who gathered around my locker. I wasn't sure where Peter was, it was just Emma and Ned. They looked at me sorrowfully. I had texted them the news last night.

I was putting away my books when I felt two strong arms wrap around me from behind. Peter was always good at hugging from behind. I turned around and let him envelop me, feeling the most at peace I possibly could. When he hugs me it's as if his hands reach straight into my body and cradle my heart.

I cried softly into him. He stroked my hair and I tried desperately to stop crying, apologizing rapidly. He kept assuring me it's okay, and shushing me, and holding me.

"It hurts." My voice cracked, as I stifled another cry into Peter's shirt.

"I know, I know. Hey, look at me." Peter pulled back from our hug and I whimpered as he put his hands on my shoulders. "How about we go to your place after school and gather some of your things? You can stay with me until you clear your head." He suggested and it sounded like the best idea possible right now. I nodded my head and hugged him once more, thanking him.

---

Luckily, Stacy wasn't home, because I knew she would object to the idea. I got some clothes and personal items and stuffed them all into a duffle bag. I left a note on the counter saying I was going to stay with a friend for a little while, and we went over to Peter's.

May greeted me with a sad smile and a hug. "Aunt May, you're sure you're okay with me staying here?" I asked, and she seemed quite happy I called her 'Aunt May', but we had grown so close in the time I've known Peter, she was like an Aunt to me, even somewhat like a mother.

"Of course I'm sure, honey. I love you like you're one of my own." I smiled and hugged her again, then Peter took me up to his room.

"So you'll be sleeping here, and I'll be sleeping on the couch." Peter said.

"No way." I protested. "I'm sleeping on the couch. You're sleeping on your bed."

"Yes way. You get the bed."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"You'll just sleep in the bed with me." I said, closing the argument.

"W-what?" Peter stuttered.

"It's not a big deal. Just sleep with me." I said and Peter gave me a surprised look. "Not like that." I rolled my eyes, though I'm not sure I'd mind that either.

"Okay." He said as he cleared out his bottom drawer of lego sets for my clothes. He threw all the Legos under his bed and started to pack my clothes away neatly.

"Wow, someone better wife you up." I joked, seeing as Peter could fold and organize quite nicely.

We talked about things until it was time to sleep, he invited me to dinner tomorrow night, and I said yes. I was glad we were finally going on a date.

At least I think it was a date.

He didn't say it was a date...

But dinner is totally a date, right?

He asked how I was feeling and I told him honestly:

"I'm feeling like I want to die. I'm feeling like it's my fault; like everything's my fault, and I'm feeling like a little girl. I'm so tired."

"I'll never let you die as long as I'm alive. Let's go to sleep, maybe you'll feel better in the morning." Peter said, rubbing my upper arm. He kept his distance for the most part, until he fell asleep.

After Peter fell asleep, he instinctively grabbed me, pulling me closer and letting me nuzzle into his chest.

The only thing I could think of was;

there's no place I'd rather be.