VII.

•Summer•
The night after, I waited all night for Peter. He told me he had something to do, and that he'd be there right after. The date was at 7. I waited until 8, then it was 9, then it was 10.

The waitresses knew what happened. They could see it in my face. They could see it when every time someone walked through the door I looked up with hope, and it still wasn't him. They could see it when I paid for the one milkshake I bought and left because it was closing time. I walked home, depressed as ever. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't let myself.

'I'm sure he had a good reason'. I told myself, like I had told myself at the party, and like I've told myself for 3 months every time we get a chance to be alone and something comes up.

It's so amazing to me, how suddenly one person can come into your life and just mess everything up, yet make it so much better at the same time. Right now, I couldn't tell if Peter Parker was making it better or worse.

The answer is both. He's both breaking my heart and stitching it together at the same time. I'll never know how one person can be this powerful over my emotion.

I walked into Peter's apartment, knowing May never locks the door. I said a quick "Hi" to her, went went up to Peter's room, ready to lecture him about standing me up, but he wasn't there. I changed into a hoodie of his and some leggings. I made it perfectly clear before I came I would steal his hoodies, he agreed.

I sat there silently, scrolling on my phone and thinking.

What if he never really does anything?

What if he just doesn't like me?

If he's not into me, I'd like him to tell me and not lead me on like this.

Or maybe he just sees it as 'hanging out with a friend' and doesn't think he breaks my heart every time he leaves me lonely.

That last ones probably it.

I froze, sinking into the sheets as I heard the window creak open. To say I was terrified would be saying the least. I didn't move as I saw a blue and red suit slowly creeping on the ceiling, then ripping off a mask to reveal my best friend.

Peter's Spider-Man?

Peter's Spider-Man.

Peter's Spider-Man!

He crept over and closed the door with a web, and dropped to the floor, back facing me. My mouth dropped and he turned, surprised.

"I forgot about you..." Peter whispered to himself.

"You're...you're Spider-Man?" I said, surprised.

He looked like he wanted to argue, but he knew he couldn't with what I just saw. "Yeah..yeah I am."

I jumped up and flung my arms around his neck, hugging him. "Why didn't you tell me, idiot." I asked.

"Well, I didn't want you to worry, or get hurt.." he looked at the ground sadly.

"I'm not going to get hurt, Peter."

"I know, I won't let you. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you." Peter said,

•Peter•

"You're the only girl I've ever-" loved "been this close with. I couldn't make it without you." I took off my suit and just put on some sweatpants, not bothering with a shirt, I was just going to bed.

"I'm just glad I know why you keep standing me up." Summer giggled, and I hadn't realized that. I'd stood her up nearly every time we were meant to hang out together. I felt my face heat up.

"Sorry.." I said, my ears burning.

"It's okay, just come cuddle with me, you idiot." She smiled, and I crawled into bed, letting her snuggle into my chest and I wrapped my arms around her.

I breathed in her sweet smell, it was a mixture of smells. Strawberry, vanilla, and cinnamon. It was one of the most unique and irreplaceable things I could ever smell.

I stroked her hair, humming a tune I had stuck in my head, until I heard her soft snores coming from below me. I smiled to myself, drifting off into my own slumber.