Chapter 3

"I don't want you to go," Cha'em murmured, from where he was cuddled into Herymi's side.

Once Herymi had gotten an answer from the Winglord, he had returned to his friends, who had promptly pulled him into the nest for what could only have been described as a puppy pile. They had done them all the time as younglings but once they were adults and sleeping with each other, they had stopped inviting Herymi in the pile. Now was slightly different and Herymi would admit to missing the feeling.

"I have to go," Herymi shrugged, cuddling Adar'y a little closer. "I made my decisions. Now I have to deal with the consequences of them."

"You only fought because you thought they were going to hurt a youngling," Ran'mosy grumbled. "I don't think it's fair you have to get whipped because of the Winglord fighting with his lover and the Winglord, the link best him, wasn't acting sane."

"That's treason," O'chetur scolded lightly, but not strongly. The whole nest was thinking it. The link acknowledged them but didn't quite agree with their assessment of the situation. It did also acknowledge that the nest was biased and not actually in danger of disobeying the Winglord's law.

"I hope the Winglord recovers soon," Cha'em murmured. "He feels better with Ryraso around again." Cha'em was the one of the nest who could have been a priest if he had ever chosen to go into the order instead of joining a nest. Still, being in proximity to the Winglord gave him some insight into the flow of the link around him.

"The more links that unseal, the stronger he will become," O'chetur said without a trace of doubt.

"This is true," Herymi nodded sadly.

"Hey," Adar'y murmured. "It will be alright."

"Will it?" Herymi murmured. "The Namya are going to lose and the D'mar are going to slaughter everyone in their path."

"We won't let them," O'chetur promised softly. "We are only home guards but I am aware there were procedures put in place to stop the slaughter of more innocents. Just how many villages since the k'nairi joined the war effort have you heard of being destroyed?" he asked, a hand running through Herymi's hair.

"Only one," Herymi admitted. "To my knowledge, no k'nairi were involved," he said closing his eyes. "Are you sure Warlord Loror is the right person to rule?"

"Doesn't matter," O'chetur said. "He will. It's safer for you here Herymi. Is there someone you are worrying about," he said almost hesitantly. They hadn't exactly gone into Herymi's life with the Namya. The brief outline of it, sure, but no real details.

"No one you need to worry about," Herymi snorted unimpressed. The wings and limbs around him tightened. Herymi sighed at the actions. "I need to go to talk to Guardian Fl'ex," Herymi said shifting but the nest held him tight. "Come on," he coaxed.

"Who are you worried about?" Ran'mosy growled.

"Come on, it's not like we will hurt him. Or at least, most of us," Cha'em teased. Ran'mosy snarled and jostled him slightly, making Herymi smile slightly and Cha'em laugh. The joke was understood and accepted for what it was.

"We won't hurt him," O'chetur promised. "But who is it?"

"None of your business," Herymi smiled.

"If it is worrying you, it is," O'chetur said gently.

Herymi exhaled and struggled a bit more. "Come on, leave it," he said starting to sound annoyed more than anything else. The wings reluctantly let him get up and crawl out of the pillows. Herymi pulling out his outerwear from where they had been tossed. Ran'mosy rubbed a hand up and down his back gently as Herymi put on his boots.