Chapter 43

"I promise to follow the k'nairi rules and laws, for as long as they protect my kin and me," Eyeri spoke in broken k'nairi but was understandable. Then something happened that none of them were expecting.

The link flared through the royals as the link's magic surrounded Eyeri The boy's eyes widened as firefly-like lights appeared, floating and surrounding him. The lights buzzed and brushed against Eyeri, leaving trails of static electricity where they touched and making his hair stand on ends. All three of the royals seemed completely taken over by the link, looking at him with a look of judgement. This was different from Herymi.

Ryraso would have been worried, only he could feel the link. He could feel its warmth. It was judging the boy, just as it had Herymi. It was judging him worthy. This one was a healer and the Winglord's newly adoptive son. The link wanted him. Knowledge and understanding would come in time, Eyeri would learn how to speak k'nairi soon enough. A few badly said words could be forgiven.

"Once you are ours, little one, you will understand the true meaning of Kin," the link spoke back through not only Tai'ray's mouth but Dyn'ad and Nel'os too. More importantly, it spoke in human. It wanted Eyeri to understand.

Eyeri blinked before he yelped as pain flared through him, like he had actually been branded. The sparks dived into him and hot fire ran through him as the link caught hold of his soul. He didn't fight it though he did screw his eyes shut, trying not to fight it. He let the pain flow through him, just hoping it would be worth the risk. The sensation quickly replaced with a feeling he had never felt before. Eyeri's eyes opened again and he gasped as the pain faded and he collapsed to his knees, his hands clutching his chest.

Warmth radiated out from his centre, feeling like it was filling him up. It was a feeling which was not from him. It was gentle and reassuring, for all that it should have scared him. Ghosts of voices and emotions suddenly flowing around him with a strange sensation of being welcomed. Physical hands curled around him and Eyeri looked up into the heart of the link.

"Welcome Eyeri Zamen, to the K'nairi,"  The Winglord's face smiled gently at the boy. Eyeri flinched as he realised the words were spoken in his mind. Tai'ray tugged him close into a big hug and began to rock him gently. "I'm so sorry for everything which has happened," Tai'ray whispered into the boy's mind, true remorse flooding through with it. "Thank you for not fighting this," he added, pressing their foreheads together. 

"It feels strange," Eyeri murmured, feeling light-headed and dizzy, clinging to Tai'ray's arms.

Ryraso chuckled, walking up to the two men and slowly kneeling down by them. Tai'ray reluctantly let Eyeri move into his arms, not really wanting to let go of his new flock member but knowing his father needed to hold him. "You get used to it," Ryraso promised, pressing his own kiss to Eyeri's forehead. The emotions and feelings buzzed around him agreeing with Ryraso's statement. 

Eyeri giggled, not sure why but suddenly overcome with the need to. And then pain overtook his senses. This time pure pain filling him for a brief moment before he fainted like Herymi. His last real thoughts being that he was surrounded by people who would protect him dearly. That he was safe, for the moment.

-----------

The room was dark. Yerir'o had left some of the strange plant lights on but Fetmar had worked out how to turn them off. He didn't want to be in a bright, cheerful room. He was facing a choice here and it wasn't something he could do in a happy atmosphere. By insulting the Winglord, Fetmar had backed himself into a corner which was going to be humiliating to get out of now. Or incredibly painful. Fetmar exhaled and shifted where he was sitting on the window seat.