Chapter 4

O'chetur joining them in flights changed things a little. The dominant was fast but not quite as fast as the Royal triad and they couldn't windbreak two people so they slowed down slightly to a more normal speed. Everyone knew, of course, why O'chetur had suddenly joined them. Now the nest had Herymi back in their grasp, they weren't happy with leaving him alone. Not when he was heading to Navat where another nest could theoretically try to charm him away.

Another change was with the flight arrangements. O'chetur was now carrying Herymi, Herymi holding onto O'chetur's back and enjoying the more comfortable flight now he was fully healed from the ambush. O'chetur's muscles were tense from trying to keep up with with the Royals, making Herymi grin from the man's determination to try to compete with Royals. There was no contest. The Royals were the Royals for a reason. The k'nairi Winglord did not rule by birthright but by proving he was best of all the k'nairi and his mates were no less talented than him.

Dyn'ad, instead of taking the chance to relax, had taken responsibility of Ryraso from Nel'os. Nel'os had offered to take Eyeri from Tai'ray but he had refused to let the boy go. The Winglord was still uncomfortable about the lack of link between them and the fact Eyeri had just attempted to escape them. When Tai'ray had first picked Eyeri up, the human boy had been tense but as they flew the boy had relaxed.

This was probably helped by Nel'os who spent his time fluttering about the group flirting with Ryraso and teasing Aw'endo and Eyeri. Mostly Aw'endo, much to the youngling's annoyance and Eyeri's enjoyment. Eventually, Aw'endo started chasing after Nel'os who fled cackling wildly.

The others laughed at the two's antics. Tai'ray smiling at how happy Aw'endo was feeling at the moment. Aw'endo had everything back that he wanted. Tai'ray's smile faded slightly as he thought about just why Aw'endo had been so sad and lonely. Tai'ray had never meant to let the youngling down, but somewhere along the line he had lost track of what the child needed. A stable nest and now that would be possible again.

It wasn't the only thing he had lost track of or dropped the ball on either. As he thought about his decisions and choices over the past eight years, the Winglord knew he had a lot to do in order to fix his mistakes. Or in some cases, make up for them. He was no idiot, he had felt the shift in Ryraso when they had been kissing. Something had changed but it was not quite enough for their stubborn healer to actually give in willingly to the Royal triad's wishes.

They flew for a day and a half, flying straight through the night and over the next day. Aw'endo hooking onto Dyn'ad to sleep for a few hours. They were behind schedule and Tai'ray's advisors and council were beginning to get impatient with him. Or as impatient as they were allowed to get.

Eventually, they landed to make camp and rest in a small village that was used to travellers going to Navat. Not so used to having the Winglord and royals stop by but they were given the best hut available and the best food. O'chetur and Herymi slept in a side nest, Tai'ray smirking as he saw O'chetur face plant into the nest.

The borderlander was tough but not quite used to the Royals way of travelling. Fast and long with just enough stops for food and bathroom needs. It was not a casual way to travel but nothing was casual about this situation.

"Winglord?" A voice jolted him back into the real world. After they had eaten, Tai'ray had returned to the hut first, claiming to have something to sort out. It wasn't entirely untrue as he had spoken to his advisor over the link about Herymi's situation but mostly Tai'ray had wanted a moment to regroup himself.

"Yes, little one?" Tai'ray asked, looking up to see Eyeri standing there looking slightly nervous. "Where are the others?" he asked, noticing disapprovingly that Eyeri was on his own, mentally poking his mates who felt in bliss at the moment. He also noticed that Eyeri had wet hair.