Chapter 6

"Winglord," Eyeri murmured as they approached the palace and the crowds of waiting k'nairi came into view.

"Eyeri, what did I tell you about calling me that?" Tai'ray scolded lightly but not seriously. The members of the home guard at the palace were holding their spears, and dressed in full battle armour making them all formidable. Them alone would make anyone nervous but with the nobles and servants gathered too, it was not too surprising the human would be nervous.

"But..." Eyeri's grip around Tai'ray's shoulders tightened slightly, the human no longer pointing at things but instead curling in slightly and clinging to Tai'ray.

"I have you," Tai'ray promised. "Most of this will be ceremonial. Just stay close to me and obey my orders. They won't be expecting anything from you, yet."

"That's ominous," Eyeri muttered softly, making Tai'ray laugh.

"You're part of a royal circle now, little one. What about that isn't?" he asked as he made the descent. Eyeri tightened his grip and said nothing in reply. Tai'ray could practically feel Eyeri's heart thumping against his back. Eyeri was more than a little nervous at the moment.

Tai'ray landed first on the welcoming grounds, landing on a red carpet to the sound of horns sounding. People cheered as he stretched his wings and smiled at them. Gently he used one of his wings to push Eyeri to his side instead of hiding behind him. He wrapped an arm around Eyeri's waist and guided him forward as he strode confidently, towards his regent and main advisors as the people cheered happily for his safe arrival back in the home city. He had been gone far too long.

Nel'os and Dyn'ad landed behind him. Tai'ray could feel the link sing as they fell into flanking positions behind him on the left and the right. The rulers of their races were true warriors and every single one of them knew it. Dyn'ad put Ryraso down and held his hand. Ryraso tangling their fingers together uncertainly as he walked with them. Aw'endo stood next to Nel'os as they followed Tai'ray down the path to the regent.

O'chetur and Herymi had been excused from the formalities and O'chetur had gone to his own nesting hut in Navat with Herymi. There was no need for them to have to suffer through the welcoming ceremony for the Royals. Something each of the Royals and Ryraso were slightly jealous off.

"Blessed to the winds, Winglord Tai'ray, you have returned," Unt'at called out in ceremony as Tai'ray approached. Unt'at was the current regent of Navat. A loyal k'nairi who was twice Tai'ray's age but willing to go to great lengths to serve him. As he spoke the crowd cheered louder for a moment. "Welcome home," he smiled as they calmed, his eyes flashing to Eyeri for a moment.

"It is good to be back Regent Unt'at," Tai'ray replied warmly. "I trust my city is well?"

"She is in great spirits now you have returned," Unt'at commented, the cheers of the crowd almost deafening after that statement.

"I am humbled to be the cause of such events," Tai'ray said, following the ceremonial script. He could almost feel Ryraso and Dyn'ad rolling their eyes at such a statement. "You will have to inform of what has happened since I have been gone soon," he smiled, rubbing Eyeri's shoulder gently. Eyeri having no idea what was being said at that moment.