Chapter 42

The entire link vibrated with approval. It wrapped itself around the brave human who would put his life in their hands and covered him with its love and joy. It took a brave man to put their lives in the hands of the first Winglord and those who had chosen to hide this secret. People who had not liked humans and declared them animals.

"Do you speak ritualistic k'nairi?" Tai'ray asked, knowing the answer but feeling the need to make it clear to those who were disapproving as such as the link approved. He lifted his hand and offered it, still covered with the blood of his foe, to Herymi. A challenge in its own right to see if the man would flinch at such an action. Humans didn't offer an open hand while it was covered in the gore of another. Not sane ones typically.

"Yes Winglord," Herymi nodded, walking forward without fear sparking layers of approval from the warriors' circle. "I was taught when the villagers found me in the forest," he spoke in fluent k'nairi. He dipped his head almost in embarrassment. "Joys of being the adoptive son of a Guardian," he smiled softly, stating who he was. As much as Ryraso was a healer, Herymi was the son of a Guardian and while that did not make him a noble by any means, it gave him respect.

"Then kneel and swear your loyalty," Tai'ray commanded.

"Any clues to the wording?" Herymi asked, looking at Nel'os, who shrugged. "Helpful," he muttered as he knelt seemingly uncaringly of the blood pooling.  The link sang with amusement at the jibe. Herymi was not afraid.

"It just said it had to be from the heart," Nel'os explained, a smile on his lips.

"From the heart?" Herymi frowned for a moment, thinking carefully, before a soft smile appeared on his face. He shifted to one knee, and offered his arm in the way he would have done if he was swearing an oath in front of Inai. His left arm under his right to support it, the vulnerable flesh bared upwards with a tattoo of a crow clear to see.

"I owe the k'nairi my life. I have done for a long time and I have been foolish in the way I have thanked you for it," Hermyi paused, glancing over at O'chetur. The man was not so much being held back as members of the guard were now next to him in case he lost his nerve. Herymi's smile turned sad as he continued. "The ones who brought me into this world, were also ones who drove me out. Though now I know not for the reasons I had feared. Whether this is an acceptable reason to you, I am not sure. But I do wish to make it up to the k'nairi, if you will let me?"

"Swear you will never leave with the intention of never returning again and we shall forgive you," the link spoke.

Herymi's eyes met Tai'ray's, widening as he heard the word 'we' used. The Winglord's eyes practically glowing with the link. The Winglord reached out and grasped his forearm. Power shot through him, leaving what felt like static electricity sparking from his fingertips and his lungs breathless. If he hadn't already been on one knee, he would have fallen anyway. The entirety of the k'nairi were judging his words, his words and his worth.

"I swear upon my honour," Herymi said unable to look away from the link. There were no real words to describe the sensation. Overwhelming seemed an inadequate word for the sensations running through him at that moment.

The Winglord's talons slid through Herymi's tender flesh, cutting one line down his forearm and letting blood drop down to the floor. Herymi didn't flinch, or yell in pain, too entranced by the link to notice the pain. "Then we acknowledge you Herymi as part of us," The words were spoken with the same tremendous power which had rippled through the room as the Winglord had declared himself the ruler. The tone of absolute truth. Herymi's red blood on his fingers, Tai'ray traced two wings on the man's forehead, "Now and forever."