Chapter 44

"I didn't break my promise," Cai'ress blushed, as Nel'os hummed on the back of his neck, teeth scraping along the skin teasingly. Cai'ress' knees were shivering at the sensation. It had been far too long since the royal had claimed him physically and was likely to be a while longer. It was almost unfair how Nel'os was making Cai'ress feel at that moment. "Ryraso hunted me out," he defended softly, thinking of that glorious moment when Ryraso had entered the room.

"I know," Nel'os hummed, planting a kiss before hugging Cai'ress tighter from behind. "I'm not angry with you, I promise," he commented, closing his eyes. It was to be expected that Ryraso would hunt Cai'ress out. Nel'os was desperate to find out how the meeting had gone. First impressions were important and he wanted Ryraso to like Cai'ress. He wanted Cai'ress to like Ryraso. He wanted both men in his nest happy, content and knowing that everyone in the nest loved them both dearly. Even if, Tai'ray had far to go before Cai'ress was in his heart but Nel'os could dream. 

"I wonder," Cai'ress chuckled, rocking them gently. 

"What did you think about him?" Nel'os asked softly, his heart falling as Cai'ress tensed. That wasn't a good sign. It was just as important that Cai'ress was happy with the arrangement as everyone else. 

"He's... intense," Cai'ress said slowly, thoughtfully. "I wasn't expecting that."

Nel'os let out a burst of laughter and let go of Cai'ress, turning him so they were facing. Nel'os beamed at him. "I'm afraid if you want more you are going to have to learn to roll with that. Ryraso is human and a commoner. He's not been trained to act a certain way. Well," Nel'os paused, tilting his head. "The healer circle taught him not to be meek and too scared of stubborn dominants to take their medicine," he corrected. "He uses this in everyday life too. And the bedroom," Nel'os trailed off, winking.

Cai'ress flushed and smiled at Nel'os. "Healers have to have more backbone than noble second borns destined to be bonded to other nobles," he acknowledged. "I don't think I impressed him," he admitted nervously. "He seemed unhappy that he had to intervene in the situation."

"We'll see," Nel'os said in a reassuring tone, not letting Cai'ress see his concern about that. Ryraso didn't like submissive nobles, as a rule, he didn't trust them. If Cai'ress couldn't show Ryraso that he was different... Nel'os pushed the thought away. He didn't know yet how Ryraso felt about the encounter. "I'd better go. I don't want to leave the boys alone for too long," he smiled, leaning over to kiss Cai'ress on the lips deeply. "I love you," he murmured. 

"You have my heart," Cai'ress said poetically, kissing back. "Go tend to your nest. I'll go try not get jumped by the nobles again," he smiled sadly.

"Soon, I promise," Nel'os murmured, knowing Cai'ress was feeling a little out in the cold at the moment. He was not part of the nest as much as Dyn'ad and Nel'os wanted him to be. Cai'ress kissed his cheek before disappearing in a flutter of wings, Nel'os watching him go his heart aching. He didn't want Cai'ress to feel unwelcome. He wanted Cai'ress there but that couldn't happen until Tai'ray said yes, until Ryraso said yes. Five years was a long time to court someone and none of them had known that it would be five years. None of them had expected Ryraso to reappear in their lives.

"It is interesting," Ryraso's voice came from behind him. Nel'os turned apprehensively to face his chosen. "How much people will put up with," he mused.