Chapter 26

"You took your fair time!" A female voice scolded. Eyeri looked up to see a young woman sitting in the trees, her legs dangling in the air. She looked unimpressed and was staring at Eyeri intensely, though she was clearly talking to the older Sparrow carrying him. Her eyes were orange. She was one of the halfling Sparrows.

"We had to take a slow way. The Winglord has every k'nairi out looking for us," The clear leader of the group said sternly. The girl pulled a face but nodded in acceptance and jumped out of the tree. Her abilities immediately obvious as she descended calmly from the branches at a controlled rate.  They landed too and Eyeri found himself put firmly on his feet and steered in front of the leader. "This is Eyeri," He gestured at the boy. "Fetmar's youngest."

"I remember the briefing, sir," the girl said as brashly as someone could without being openly rude. "So this is who the fuss is about," She sniffed. Eyeri resisted the urge to glare back at her. The younger Sparrow who had been nice at first but Eyeri didn't trust now did actually pull Eyeri back slightly, away from the openly hostile woman. "Not much, are you?" she commented coldly, ignoring the fact her teammate had moved Eyeri away from her.

"Leave him alone Monia," he commented. "Unless you want his brothers on your back," he warned.

She huffed unhappily, but her eyes locked on Eyeri's like a predator looking for prey. "Your other brother, Oira? He is small too. But he is a scientist. Techheads are useful. What are you?" Monia demanded coldly. Her attitude was reminding Eyeri of a D'mar grunt rather than the Namya she was.

"I am a medic. Also useful to have," Eyeri said back strongly, keeping his head back. "Unless you know how to stitch limbs back together and treat illnesses brought on by local plants and water?" he asked with a fake sweet tone, trying to channel one of the D'mar spies who had regularly snuck on board. He had treated the boy a few times after he had gotten himself hurt and he had given Eyeri a few tips on how to act around bullies.

"I did not say you were useless. I only asked what made you useful!" Monia commented, something flashing through her eyes. Respect perhaps. Anger was more likely. "You trained under Ryraso?"

"That's why I'm in this mess, yes?" Eyeri said coldly, trying not to think too much about that. He was painfully aware that those words made it sound like he blamed Ryraso, but he didn't. Ryraso had done so much for him, he couldn't blame him for this. Far worse things could have happened.  

"You aren't just a medic then?" Monia pointed out like she had uncovered some massive secret of his.  "You're a healer," she stated, taking a step forward so she was pressed up against his teammate.

"In training, yes. But I am a fully trained medic," Eyeri pointed out, taking a step forward so he was pressed up against the back of the man.  "I don't claim to be anything I am not," he said fluttering his eyes, not afraid to get up close to her. The man sandwiched between them made an awkward sound but the woman glared at him and he shut up. 

"But you do leave out that which you are," Monia snapped, looking unhappy by Eyeri playing her game. 

"As interesting as your conversation is, I do feel the need to remind you, we are fugitives and it is time to move. Also, I think Caon would like to be freed from your fight," the older Sparrow interrupted with an amused smile on his lips. He had been enjoying watching the boy who he had heard was meek and avoided fights, easily handle himself against someone who was known as a bully. Apparently, Fetmar was underestimating Eyeri, or having a k'nairi as a stepbrother had done a lot to improve his broken attitude.