Chapter 13

The room smelt of strong spices and flowers. It was almost overwhelming to Eyeri who wrinkled his nose. It was a warm room and fabrics were scattered about it. Matron Iss'tine looked unimpressed and idly started cleaning up some of the food which had been left on the side. The entire room was covered with various objects, most of which were clearly needed to be tidied away. Eyeri didn't blame her for starting to clean, his own fingers were getting slightly itchy again.

"Tailor Ril'shy will be here soon," the matron promised, gathering a few other bits which were clearly rubbish together. "You can sit down if you want," she said kindly, gesturing at the chair she had just cleared.

It was a posh looking thing which looked very comfortable but the idea of sitting it in seemed to make Eyeri's skin crawl. A dim memory of being struck for sitting on something even with permission flashed through his eyes. His shoulders stiffened and he fell into a military position. It was safer not to sit.

"No, thank you," Eyeri said almost stiffly, wishing desperately that Ryraso was there. After breakfast Aw'endo had been basically dragged away by a big brute of a k'nairi to do training, Dyn'ad grinning the entire time. Ryraso had tried to come with Eyeri but someone had waylaid him and he had ended up having to leave Eyeri alone. Eyeri didn't like it. "Who is Ryraso talking with?" he asked softly, trying not to look scared or nervous.

"Head healer Pol'ar," Iss'tine said calmly, still idly tidying up the room. She seemed to know where things were supposed to be. Eyeri wondered if she knew the tailor or if it was something to do with the link. Ryraso hadn't exactly made it clear just what the link did entirely between strangers.

"Oh," Eyeri murmured, slowly looking around the room at the various objects. The fabrics were good quality and in a variety of colours. Despite the mess in the room, the tools and fabrics looked well looked after. The metal and silver tools gleamed well cleaned. He fought the slight itch to pick something up and he stayed standing stiffly.

Iss'tine looked over at him with an unreadable expression for a moment. Then her eyes softened slightly before she continued tidying. "Royal bonded Nel'os is asking if you would like him to come," Iss'tine offered as she opened a window to let some air in. That in itself had been surprising to watch. She had pressed her hand against some of the vines on a wall and they curled away to create a window. Eyeri could feel magic humming to stop the wind from howling into the small space. It was the same as the window in the consort rooms but he hadn't seen them open or close.

"Well?" Iss'tine pressed.

Eyeri blushed embarrassed as he realized he had been staring at the blue sky beyond the window in wonder at the magic. "Only if he isn't busy," He said sheepishly, looking away from the sky. He had seen magic before, of course. Ryraso had even shown him how to do a few things but none of the magic he had seen on the warship was like that. The ship was more alchemy than pure magic.

"If he is offering, he is not," Iss'tine commented slowly with a look of bemusement on her face. "He will be here soon," she added, still looking around the room with the look of someone looking for something to do. "I can't believe Ril'shy has let this room get so out of hand," she scowled unhappily. "This place should be spotless," she shook her head unimpressed.