Chapter 41

There was no true way to describe the sensation as power from the Goddess left his body and then surged back in with a vengeance. Fire and ice burned through his veins and for one brief moment of bliss, Tai'ray was not damaged by the holes in his mind, he was whole in the love of the Goddess. Then it fled, leaving only the euphoria as he stared down at the man who dared challenge him. He grinned, bloodlust filling him.

He was the champion of the Goddess. He was the one the link had chosen. He was the Winglord.

The next few moments happened so fast barely anyone saw them. Tai'ray leapt forward, wings spread wide, punching the challenger in the chest. The man gasped, his mouth spitting blood. Tai'ray reared back and punched again, feeling bone crush under his knuckles as shockwaves spread from under the man.

"I am the will of the k'nairi," Tai'ray growled lowly, and yet the words echoed dangerously around the room like a whisper. The tone sent shivers of fear down Ryraso's spine and just a touch of something else. It was not like anything he had ever heard before from Tai'ray. It was primal. "They choose me!" he roared. The roar reverberated through the hall, and Ryraso was pretty sure no one was even breathing at that tense moment. Tai'ray looked down at the man, teeth gleaming, beaming with a sadistic look to his eyes. "Decide," he warned.

"I surrender," the man coughed out through the blood.

Tai'ray growled but stood, not concerned with the pathetic lord down beneath him broken. He had fought far more skillful warriors, human and k'nairi alike. Still covered in the blood of the now defeated k'nairi, Tai'ray turned to face his people, his movements more birdlike than normal. His neck seemed to move strangely and his wings shifted too as the more instinctual side of him was close to the surface.

"Does anyone else dare defy me?" Tai'ray demanded, the sound echoing throughout the palace and into the city. Echoing through the entire link itself, even to the still sealed Caw. Someone had challenged him and been defeated, miserably. His rule was just. His rule was firm. He was the leader of the k'nairi and heavens help the next person who dared cross him at that moment. "Anyone?" he repeated, meeting the eyes of several vocal opponents in the room.

They averted their eyes. No one spoke, people barely breathing, some now on their knees watching in a twisted horror. No one dared speak.

Tai'ray sneered at the cowardice. "Too soft am I? Too soft!" Tai'ray laughed cruelly, before kicking the defeated k'nairi in the ribs. The man screamed in pain. He turned and stormed up to where Nel'os was cradling Eyeri and Aw'endo, his sons' eyes wide with terror. Tai'ray paused long enough to kiss both their foreheads, lingering on Aw'endo for a moment. Gently he pulled Eyeri from Nel'os' arms and pulled him gently into the centre of the room again, ignoring the fact Eyeri was dragging his feet reluctantly.

"Winglord!" Ryraso called, able to plainly see Eyeri panicking as he was dragged to the centre of the room. Dyn'ad covered his mouth, but Tai'ray had heard and glared at Ryraso for a moment before continuing.

"Let me re-introduce this human boy!" Tai'ray yelled his voice still furious. "This is my chosen's apprentice. His adoptive son. KIN. I do not want to hurt him! But it is by your will the old laws still exist. YOUR will that the caw will be branded. If I followed YOUR will, I would have to whip every inch of skin of every runaway and their families. I would have to brand their bleeding flesh and leave them without medical help and see who had the strength to live. I REFUSE to allow such a thing!"