Chapter 3

Layla had just pulled into the parking lot of her job when her cellphone rang. Hurriedly, she answered while making her way into the shop.

"Miss Kelly? Congratulations, you got the job," said Rose.

Layla fist pumped the air and breathed. "Yes!"

"So when do I start work?" she asked, "That was really quick!"

"Tomorrow. Be here at eight," answered Rose, "Mr. Wilde never delays his decisions. I'll see you then."

Tears sprang to Layla's eyes as she hung up. She'd gotten the job. She could finally do something that mattered. Not that she didn't enjoy working with Silas and Donna at the bakery, but this was something she studied and worked hard for. Layla smiled and spoke to Donna as she tied her apron around her waist and got busy. Her mind was far away calculating how much she would earn by the end of the year. Mr. Wilde paid his PA's extremely well it seemed. The numerical figures they had discussed had blown her mind. Of course the contract and full confidential agreement she would have to sign were a little daunting. Her thoughts ran to Mr. Wilde.

Physically speaking, he was perfect. Mr. Wilde was hot; smoking hot. His rugged manly face with its covering of black stubble and deep blue-gray eyes were every woman's dream. And don't even get her started on his hair. Black wavy hair that looked like he'd run his hands through it multiple times and it had still fallen in place perfectly.

Blushing at her thoughts, she realized he probably could have any woman he desired. Her mirror in her bathroom told her she was nothing special.

Over the next couple of hours Layla served customers and helped Donna clean up until it was five o'clock. She was ready to go home, watch a movie, and prop her poor, abused feet up. It was time to laze around her apartment eating popcorn and watch Titanic. She might just give her family a call too.

"No, you idiot," she yelled, throwing popcorn at the tv, "You're not supposed to die."

The movie got on her nerves. There had been plenty enough room on that raft that Jack should have lived. It was sad. No maybe the sad part was she'd watched it at least a hundred times and she still cried every time and then got angry. The ending credits rolled across the screen just as Layla heard the doorbell ring.

Getting up, she wrapped the Hello Kitty blanket around her scantily clad body. Unlocking the door, she opened it. "Jester?" she questioned, smiling before throwing her arms around the man outside the door.

He laughed and squeezed her back. "Long time no see," he grinned, mussing her hair.

"Just since Christmas," answered Layla, stepping back to look up at him.

"Hey! What did you do to my dweeby cousin, dude?" She poked his muscley arm with one finger and giggled. She asked the question every time she saw him. Once upon a time, Jester Morris, her one and only cousin by her mother's sister, had been a twig. No more like a little bitty thin stalk of grass.

Jester flexed his biceps and Layla laughed. Then she realized they were still standing in the door so she pulled him inside. "What are you doing here?" she asked, hugging the blanket around her barely clad body.

She and Jester had grown up together, literally and he was only three years younger than her. His mother had been the only female influence in her life and was the only mother she really knew. After she had left home, they made sure to visit back and forth, but Jester was supposed to be in college.

"I came to see you," he answered shoving his hands in his pockets and smiling widely.

Reaching over the back of the couch, he scooped up a handful of popcorn and shoved it in his mouth. Layla raised her eyebrows as he proceeded to finish off her popcorn and he faked hurt. "You never call me," he said in an injured tone, "And I hadn't seen you since Christmas."