Chapter 34

Layla watched frantically as Jason shoved her out of the way, Niko holding her back as Jason bent over his best friend. Police flooded the room, taking Eaton and Leon into custody. A woman bent next to Canon and Layla knew they were trying to save him.
Then Rose came and Layla ran into her best friend's arms and collapsed. She was sobbing, but she didn't realize it. Rose held her tightly and they waited. It was maybe five minutes and the paramedics came into the room with a stretcher. Layla pushed herself through the swarm of people and listened as she heard someone yell, "Dropping blood pressure. We're losing him."
Rose and Niko had to physically restrain her as she tried to get to Canon. Layla buried her face in her friends shoulder murmuring no over and over.
After the doctors at the hospital had checked Layla over and pronounced her alright except for severe bruising, Layla sat in a hospital room on the bed, her eyes staring into nothing. An IV had been hooked to her to replenish her fluids as she'd been severly dehydrated and they had forced her to eat some crackers. Everyone was there except for Jester, who was coming. Aunt May had already been at the hospital with Carter while Rose had ridden with Layla in the second ambulance, Jason and Niko, following behind.
Rose had placed a blanket around Layla and sat beside her trying to get her to talk. She'd given up when Layla had quietly looked but steadily looked her in the eye and shook her head.
"Where is she?" asked Jester as he burst through the door into the small room, his eyes glancing frantically around.
Layla looked up at the sound of Jester's voice and they locked eyes. Jester walked towards her with swift strides and Layla ripped the IV from her arm and ran to Jester, locking her arms around his neck.
"Thank God you're alright," he murmured, as she barreled into him.
A choked sob ripped from Layla's mouth and Jester crushed her to his chest as he fought back tears. "Thank God," he said.
May, Rose, Jason and Niko watched the exchange as Layla spoke for the first time since leaving the basement. "Jester," her voice cracked and he looked into her eyes.
"You scared me to death," he whispered.
Layla buried her face in his shoulder, relaxing a little bit. She was safe now. Jester was here. "How's Canon," Jester asked Jason who approached them.
"He's in surgery," said Jason quietly, "The bullet almost hit his heart. The doctor's are doing all they can, but it's going to be close. He was hit twice, but the bullet wound to his head wasn't as severe."
Jester supported Layla who shuddered as she heard what she already knew spoken out loud. She looked up at Jester, her eyes filled with tears as she said, "He came for me. It's my fault he's in there. All my fault."
Jester shook his head furiously and said, "No it isn't Layla and Canon would be pretty upset if he heard you say that."
Layla shook her head, not believing him and silently cried. Jester picked her up, cradling her to his chest and sat down on the bed. He looked around the hospital room and asked, "How is she?"
May stepped forward laying her hand on her niece's head and said softly, "Alright. The doctor said she has some pretty sever bruising, but nothing was broken. Other than the phsycological trauma she should be fine."
Jester looked down at Layla who was falling asleep in his arms. She had to be exhausted. Rose came and sat down next to Jester and stroked Layla's hair. Jester caught Rose's eyes and silently asked her if she was alright. She nodded although tears glistened in her eyes and Jester leaned forward and kissed her gently on the lips. He looked up at his mother and saw her trying to comfort a quietly crying Mary. They all knew the woman had practically raised Canon. She must feel like he was her son.
Hours later, Canon's doctor stepped into the room, raking his hands tiredly through his thinning gray hair. He immediately had the attention as they all stood, their eyes and faces full of mixed hope and dread. Jason supported Mary as she stood with her hand on his strong arm, his eyes carefully watching her. He knew he would be held responsible when Canon woke up if anything had happened to either Mary or Layla. He cast a glance at the battered girl lying asleep on the bed; his coat, Jester's, and Niko's covering her along with the flimsy hospital blanket, to keep her warm. Pure concern washed through him. He didn't know if she would ever be the same again. She'd seemed to retreat deep into a shell only Jester or Canon could bring her out of. Nothing anyone else said seemed to get to her. Her brown tangled hair lay spread out on the pillow like a halo around her head, her face so innocent and angelic it made Jason's blood boil to think of the things done to her.
He turned his attention to the doctor, the tension so thick in the room you could cut it with a knife.
"He's alive." The first words the doctor said brought tears to everyone's eyes and collective gasps of relief.
The doctor's voice was tired as he faced these people and said, "We lost him twice on the operating table."
Jason wrapped his arm around Mary as she sagged against him, a broken sob ripping from her lips. Everyone turned to look at Layla as she stood from her position on the bed and stated, "He will be alright."
The doctor hesitated and then said in a low voice, "We don't know as of yet. That bullet was too close to his heart. Due to the immense strain put on his body, I'm afraid he's gone into a coma. The head wound didn't help much. He lost a lot of blood."
Layla walked towards the doctor and asked a little unsteadily, "When will he wake up?"
The doctor shook his head regretfully. "We don't know," he said gently, "There's a chance he never will."
Layla's face crumbled and a sob flew from her mouth. Her face worked as she tried to control her sobs and Rose went to her and wrapped her in her arms. The rest of the family followed suit banding together in their time of grief and pain. Jason nodded to the doctor who paused at the door and said regretfully, "I'm sorry I couldn't bring better news. I wanted to tell you myself. We did our best."
Jason shook his hand and said quietly, "That's all we can ask for."
"I'm Doctor Newberry," stated the man before leaving, "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."
"Thank you," said Jason sincerely, "We appreciate it."
When the news came that Canon was in a room, Layla had fallen into another fitful sleep this time in Rose's arms. Jason checked his watch tiredly. He'd lost count of how many hours they'd been at the hospital but had just figured up that it was around forty-eight. They had slept in the waiting room in the main lobby of the hospital with the exception of Layla, who had been kept under observation. Niko had brought food earlier because all of the family refused to leave. He paced up and down the floor in front of the door. Mary was wide awake glancing out the window at the bare concrete helipad below her. May Morris was sitting with Carter. Jester sat beside Rose and held her against him as she slept, while Layla lay with her head in Rose's lap.
A nurse poked her head in the door and said quietly, "Dr. Newberry said to inform you that Mr. Wilde has been placed in a room and visitors can see him one at a time for five minutes only."
Jason nodded and ran his fingers through his hair. Mary was already moving towards the door. The nurse held it open for her and Jason glanced at Niko before giving the elderly housekeeper his arm for support and following the nurse down the hallway. She led them down two hallways and into a room with the curtains drawn over the windows. Jason stepped back away from Mary and let her have her moment. As much as he wanted to see if his friend was okay, well as okay as he could be, he respected Mary. He noticed with shock how the woman had seemed to age in the short time they'd been at the hospital.
Mary stepped over to the bed and watched the boy she'd raised into a man lie still, several IV's and wires in his arms and a breathing tube in his nose. The bandage wrapped around his upper chest was visible peeking out from under the covers along with the one around his head. Tenderly, Mary reached up and brought the blanket up to his chin, her fingers brushing against his skin. He was so cold.
Niko had taken care of everything. No press, no news. Canon's longed for justice had been served. Leon and Alison were in prison along with his father. It was over. She covered her mouth with her hand to fight back a sob as she thought of at what cost? The heart monitor beeped steadily and she glanced up at it as if reassuring herself he was still alive. His skin was so pale and the slow rise and fall of his chest was shallow. He was there in front of her yet she was so scared he'd vanish.
Five minutes later, the nurse asked her to leave gently and Jason's smile was strained as he thanked her. To his surprise she smiled kindly and laid her hand on his arm and squeezed, her green eyes warm and sincere. 
He smiled again, this time sincere and escorted Mary back to the waiting room down the hallway. Half way there, Layla flew past them as if given wings. Niko was following her. "Stay with her," growled Jason.
The real threat was gone. But Eaton had managed to escape and had disappeared. Niko nodded as he hurried after Layla. They weren't taking any chances.
Layla walked in the room after the nurse made her slow down and almost fell to her knees. The sight of Canon lying there so still was not one she was prepared for. Tears dripping down her face, she made her unsteady legs walk to his side. His limp pale hand lay on top of the blanket they had placed over him and Layla grabbed it.
"You promised," she said in a shaky voice, "You promised me."
Her voice cracked and she sobbed as she begged, "Please don't leave me. Please."
She reached up and brushed the hair away from his face tenderly, glancing up at the white bandage wrapped around his head, and then bent and placed a kiss to his lips. She pulled away and wiped away her tear that had fallen to his cheek.
"I love you," she whispered, "So much. You can't leave me."
"Just hold on," she whispered.
Niko watched her from the door as her slender frame was wracked with sobs. The nurse watched too, her face sad as she took in the scene as she stood by the monitor. Five minutes was soon up, but Layla refused to leave.
"I'm not leaving him, Niko," she said stubbornly, her bottom lip trembling as she fought the tears, "He wouldn't leave me if the roles were reversed and I'm not leaving him. He's going to have to wake up and tell me to leave."
The nurse whose name was Bonnie was reluctant to make her, but rules were rules. Jason came up and Niko left to return to the waiting room. "Just let her stay," he suggested.
Bonnie frowned and Jason added, "Go ask Dr. Newberry if he can make an exception to the rules this once. She's been through hell these past few weeks. She needs to be here."
Bonnie sighed but went to do as she was told. Jason walked up to Layla and took her by her shoulders as he said, "Layla, I've waited until now to ask you, but did Eaton say anything at all about where his hideout is? Or where he might go?"
Layla shook her head, her eyes never leaving Canon. "No," she whispered, "He didn't say anything about that. All they talked about around me was how they were going to r-rape me and make Canon watch."
Jason felt his blood boil and said, "Okay, thank you. Do you need anything from the Estate?"
Layla shook her head but Jason took her chin in his hand and forced her to look at him. "Miss Kelly," he said, "If Canon wakes up and sees you like this, he's going to have my head."
Layla glanced down at herself. She wore a flimsy pale green hospital gown. Her hair was tangled and matted, her fingernails and hands nasty. Actually all of her was filthy. She glanced at Canon and Jason said soothingly, "I'm going to send Matt to the Estate to get you some clothes and things. I need you to tell me what you need."
Layla felt frozen but somehow her voice was listing off items she would need. A part of her was curled up in a corner somewhere crying, but the other part; the part that realized she had to keep going and be strong for Canon was taking charge.
The nurse appeared at the door a few minutes later and smiled. "You can stay," she said, "They'll move a cot in here for you tonight."
Jason nodded to her and Layla breathed, "Thank you."
Bonnie turned to go, but before she left, she said, "If you need anything press the buzzer."
Jason watched her go and then turned to Layla to see her sitting in a chair she'd pulled over to be close to Canon. Her head laid on the bed beside him, her hand gently holding his. Her eyes were closed and Jason could tell by her even breaths that she slept. Jason walked over to his friend and said, "You bloody idiot. You better wake up and soon. There's only so much of your mess I can handle."
He swiped at the lone tear trailing down his cheek and took a deep breath, going over to stare out the window. He felt the other's presence rather than saw them. He turned around to see Jester, Rose, Mary, and Aunt May all standing in the doorway. All had tears in their eyes looking at the scene in front of them. Niko stood off to the side and beckoned Jason. "Don't stay too long," he warned them in a low voice as he passed, "The doctor's permission only covers Layla. They're allowing her to stay."
Thirty minutes later, Matt arrived with three overnight bags for Layla, filled with all her necessities. Aunt May woke Layla when he arrived and said softly, "Jester, Rose, and Mary and I are going back to the Estate, baby girl. Mary is exhausted and close to passing out. We all need some real sleep. Matt is taking us."
Layla nodded and stood embracing her aunt in a hug. "Thank you," she murmured.
May shook her head and placed her hands on her niece's shoulders. "I'm proud of you," she whispered, "Stand strong for your man. Fight for him. Fight with him. Everything's going to be alright."
Layla felt the tears rising to the surface again and quickly stomped them down. "Thank you," she said, before grabbing sweatpants, clean underwear, and a shirt of Canon's and heading to the tiny adjoining bathroom.
.......
"Niko," said Jason, "You stay here along with Antonio. Guard the boss and Layla. I'm going to the Estate. The assistant CEO will take care of the business and I need to try and trace down Eaton."
Niko nodded and said, "Good luck with that."
Niko called Antonio who was with the rest of the guards patrolling at random around the hallways and said, "New assignment. Boss and Miss Kelly."
Antonio nodded and stood patiently outside the door as Niko went inside to check on Canon and Layla. It had been Jason's idea that they randomly enter just to make sure.
.......

Vote and comment!!