Chapter 23

Layla didn't know why he was so upset. Or why he seemed so angry. So she did the only thing she knew to calm him down.
She kissed him. Her mouth molded to his, his minty taste on her tongue. At first, he froze. After all, it was the first time she had initiated a kiss. Then he stared to kiss her back, his lips moving against her own. His kiss was rough, demanding; everything that made Layla's spine tingle. He broke away from her lips but continued to trail kisses down her neck, his hands now holding her waist gently. Then he kissed her again on the lips and leaned his forehead against hers his eyes closed, breathing hard. "I wasn't flirting with him," panted Layla softly, "Or anyone else. We were talking about his family back in Mexico. He has a lovely wife Isabella and a daughter named Maria. He says I remind him of his younger sister. That's all."
Canon nodded pulling her closer, and wrapping his arms around her. "Canon," said Layla quietly, "You have to trust me."
"I do," said Canon, opening his eyes to look at her.
Layla raised her eyebrows and he mumbled, "I trust you, just not anyone else."
"You have to try, Canon," she sighed, "You can't just get jealous and act psycho because I talked to another man.  It's hard for me to trust people too."
Canon leaned away from her to make eye contact. "You don't trust me," he said flatly.
Layla met his intense gaze and said, "Yes, I do. I trust you more than anyone else except Jester."
"How did you learn to trust me?" asked Canon softly, his eyes filled with wonder.
Layla sighed, and answered, "I don't know. I just feel safe with you."
"Kiss me."
"What?" asked Layla, her eyes shooting to his looking for a hint of a trick.
His eyes held raw emotion and Layla was touched at how expressive they were. He was letting her see the real Canon Wilde. Not the façade he put on for the world to see. "Kiss me," his voice was ragged.
Slowly standing on her tip-toes, Layla closed her eyes and laced her fingers through his hair, one hand on his chest. She felt his heart-beat speed up and she leaned in closer to his lips. She could feel his breath fanning her face. Her lips were mere centimeters from his, his hot breath warm and inviting. Layla wrapped both arms around his neck as she finally touched her lips to his, trying to put all her feelings into that one kiss.
When she pulled away, Layla laid her head on his chest a moment to catch her breath. She could feel his heart drumming away like a deranged woodpecker inside his chest. In a small voice, she asked the question that had been bugging her all day since Jester had brought up their weird relationship.
"Canon?" she asked, looking up at him, "What are we?"
He opened his mouth to answer when his office door slammed open and Jason strolled in. "Whoa, guys," he yelled, "My virgin eyes!"
He shielded his eyes with his hand and Layla blushed to the roots of her hair while trying to stifle a giggle. Canon looked annoyed and growled, "Not now Jason. And shut up; we all know there isn't anything about you that's virgin."
Layla's cheeks flamed and she hollered, "TMI, guys!"
Jason shoved his hands in his pockets as Layla stepped away from Canon smoothing her skirt down. Canon jerked her back to him, crushing her possessively to his side and wrapping his arm around her waist. "I'm guessing you guys want to talk about whatever's going on," said Layla.
She went to hug Jason as she said, "Nice seeing you again."
"Mine," growled Canon, crushing Layla against his chest where she struggled to get away. He glared at Jason.
"Caveman," muttered Layla.
"Okay, okay," laughed Jason, seeming to take delight in riling up his friend, "I get it. She's off limits."
"You better believe it," glared Canon reluctantly letting Layla go.
She released an exasperated sigh before turning to Jason and giving him a sweet smile with a wink. "I'm sorry," she said, stepping forward and giving him a hug, "I don't know how you deal with caveman over here."
Canon looked disgruntled as he settled into his chair behind his desk. Jason laughed loudly and said, "Canon, I like her. She's a keeper."
Layla punched his arm lightly. "Ow," he groaned, rubbing his arm, "She's violent too."
"Wimp," snorted Canon.
Jason ignored him and sighed heavily though his eyes twinkled with mischief. "I don't' know how you put up with him," he chuckled, "I'm surprised he hasn't beat his fists on his chest, swung you over his shoulder and carried you off to a cave yet."
"Don't give him any ideas," stated Layla wryly, walking to her door, "I'll let you two catch up. See you Jason."
"Sure thing, Princess," called Jason, taking a seat in front of Canon's desk.
With a wave, Layla closed the door behind her and went to her desk. A timid knock on her door made her look up from the letter's she was typing and she called come in. Rose stood there a sheaf of mail in her hand.
"Hey," she called, happy to see Rose.
Rose nodded and plopped the sheaf down on Layla's desk and said, "Hey!"
Layla grinned and said, "How are you and Jester?"
Rose blushed and Layla cackled like a witch. "Good," muttered Rose.
Layla raised her eyebrows and said, "Has he asked you out yet?"
Rose nodded shyly and said, her eyes shining, "He's taking me out on a date tonight."
Layla thought back to her date with Canon and how perfect it had been. She could tell by the way Rose's eyes shone when she talked of Jester, that Rose was madly in love with him already.
"I'm so lucky," sighed Rose dreamily.
Layla giggled at the star-struck look on Rose's face and then said seriously, "Take care of him, Rose. You break his heart and I'll break you."
Rose's eyes widened and she stared cautiously at Layla trying to see if she was joking or not. Layla wasn't and Rose assured, "I promise. I won't break his heart."
"Good," smiled Layla.
Rose looked furtively at the door separating them from Canon and Jason and said, "Now tell me all about your date. They'll be in there a while, trust me."
Layla smiled and told her everything.
......
""I have the letters," said Jason opening his briefcase and laying about five letters still in their respective envelopes on his desk.
Canon picked up one and opened it eagerly as Jason said, "Also guess what I found out?"
Canon looked up expectantly. "Alison Porter is still alive," said Jason, "According to records, she departed for Europe and never came back. I think somebody knows you're looking into this case. Be careful. My informant says that Alison is here in the Unites States along with her accomplice, Leon Hernandez."
Jason opened another one of the letters and he and Canon read them silently. Finally Canon sighed. Jason too. The whole murder was outlined in those five letters. Details, motive, timing; it was all there; even the murder weapon was mentioned.
"Wow," whistled Jason, "This is some pretty incrimintating evidence. Why did your father have these? Where did he get them?"
"M father would not have kept them and hidden them unless he was using them as leverage," said Canon thickly, "I mean why wouldn't he have burned them? If he really was involved wouldn't he want to destroy any evidence?"
"He would," stated Jason thoughtfully, "Unless he was holding them for other purposes."
"Like blackmail or something?" questioned Canon.
"Exactly," answered Jason.
Canon sighed and then gave Jason the address listed on the backs of all the envelopes. "See if you can locate Leon Hernandez," he commanded, "He will probably lead us straight to Alison."
Jason looked at the address in his hand. It was a small town somewhere in the lower half of the state, and the date on the envelope was twenty years old. "I'll do my best, boss," he grinned and saluted, "You don't want me to question your father?"
"No," answered Canon, "We need to have this nailed down before that. He's too powerful. He will rip this case right out from under us if we tell him about it too soon. He was definitely involved though.
Hours later, Layla got up from her desk after shutting down her computer and stretched like a cat. Her muscles were sore from sitting at a desk all day. She was more used to waitressing. It was going to take some getting used to. Tapping on Canon's door, she opened it quickly and stepped inside. He looked up from his desk and smiled at her. Layla felt her heart leap, an answering smile on her lips. She glanced down at her watch and said, "It's five. I'm headed home, sir."
Canon frowned and stared at his laptop screen, before raking his hands through his hair. Jason was on his way to the little town listed on the backs of the envelopes and Canon had looked up the small town on Google Maps. There was nothing special about the place. "Alright," he nodded, staring down at the file in front of him.
Layla raised her eyebrows at his dismissal and said, "See you tomorrow, boss."
She turned and walked out of the office. Rose was getting ready to leave as well, and Layla stopped to talk. "You know what's up with Mr. Wilde?" asked Rose.
Layla looked puzzled and said, "No, I don't. What do you mean?"
Rose grabbed her purse and the two got in the elevator. "Carter came to see him today," explained Rose, looking at Layla curiously, "After Jason went down. Carter seemed agitated about something and if that man's agitated, it's something bad. You know, I would think as close as you and Mr. Wilde have gotten you'd know more than me."
Layla shook her head. "No," she said, "After the meeting, we were so busy we didn't have a chance to talk. You know that. I do know something's bothering him though. I just haven't figured it out yet."
"Yeah, about that meeting," said Rose sympathetically, "I heard about it. That had to be pretty awful to get humiliated like that."
"Thanks for reminding me," joked Layla hiding her face.
The two parted as the elevator doors opened and Rose said, "Good luck with that."
"Yeah thanks!" called Layla and then added, "Good luck with your date tonight!"
She arrived at her apartment and Jester dragged her inside and back to his room. "Layla," he shouted, "You finally made it. You've got to help me!"
"Jester, stop!" screeched Layla rubbing her wrist when he let go of her, "And get some clothes on!"
With a face red from embarrassment, Jester glanced down and realized he was only in boxers. "Oh crap," he muttered, stepping into his room and pulling on a pair of sweatpants.
"Dude," asked Layla, walking in a few seconds later, "Why are all your clothes on the floor?"
"Gravity, Lay, gravity," he smirked and Layla rolled her eyes. "Sloppy," she muttered.
"You have to help me," began Jester, running his fingers through his blond hair.
Layla sat down in his bed after shoving dirty clothes off in the floor and asked quizzically, "What do you need my help with?"
Jester blushed and Layla's eyes widened and she giggled, "Oh my, this must be good."
"I don't know what to wear," he admitted in a whisper.
"What was that?" asked Layla teasing him, "I don't think I quite heard you."
"I said I don't know what to wear!" he said louder, and Layla fell over laughing at the nervous embarrassed expression on his face.
"Clothes," she giggled, looking up at him from where she lay sprawled on his bed, "You should definitely wear clothes."
He pulled his hair frustrated and snapped, "Not helping, Lay. Now what should I wear?"
Layla glanced at his messy room and then his closet before raising her eyebrows and amending, "CLEAN clothes. Jester, you should wear CLEAN clothes."
"Ugh," he groaned, before turning pleading eyes to her, "Layla, please."
Sobering up, Layla shook her head, still chuckling at him and went to his closet to pick out a shirt. "Put on a pair of jeans," she instructed, digging through his clothes.
"Seriously dude," she grumbled, "Would it hurt you to organize just a little?"
Layla heard his dresser drawer creak open and then slam shut. "Yes," he answered smugly, swiftly changing into a pair of jeans.
Layla turned and tossed him a gray sweater to go over his blue jeans and said, "That'll look fine. Unless you're taking Rose out to a fancy restaurant."
"How'd you know I was taking her out tonight?" he asked startled.
Layla raised her eyebrows and said, "She's my friend, Jester, duh."
"And no," he said, referring to her other statement.
Layla shook her head in dismay as he pulled the sweater over his head, whistling. Walking out of his room, she heard her phone start to ring, the ringtone echoing throughout the apartment. Digging through her purse she'd tossed carelessly on the coffee table, she found her phone and answered it on the last ring.

.......

Vote and comment!!