Chapter 19

Canon was impatient to get home. He'd gotten Layla to promise to come over tonight and he was anxious to see her. It seemed days since he'd left the wrecked house for work that morning. His father had been on his case at work all day. Sighing, his head fell down in his hands and he fought the headache he could feel coming on. Jason stepped in his office and asked, "A word, Canon?"

Canon looked up and asked eagerly, "What have you found?"

"I was talking to your housekeeper this afternoon and she gave me some interesting information," stated Jason.

"Mary?" questioned Canon. As far as he knew, the only things she knew about the murders were what she heard. She hadn't been at home when the murders happened.

"Yeah," answered Jason, "Mary remembers an argument between your father and his secretary, Alison Porter. She overheard it one day at the old Estate. I was asking her if she remembered any slight thing or discrepancy and this is what she came up with."

Canon interrupted and asked in disbelief, "You really suspect my father?"

"He had the motive, Canon," stated Jason quietly, "After all, you know the baby girl your mother was carrying was not your father's child. Also suspicious is the death of the baby daddy. I traced him down as well since you were able to give me a name. He died twenty years ago as well in a motorcycle accident. A hit and run. They never caught the other driver. Very coincidental if you ask me."

Canon scrubbed his hand across his face. "I know," he sighed.
Jason went on. "Mary told me she heard your father and his secretary, Alison Porter arguing about a stack of letters in his study one night. She said Alison was very upset and your father eventually threw her out. She said she peeked through the doorway to see your father placing the letters in his safe. I asked her roughly to give me a time line of when this happened and she said maybe a week or two before the murders."

Canon sat back in thought and asked, "What do you think? Do you think they could shed some light on this case? Do you think my father even has them still?"

Jason shrugged and then grinned. "Want me to find out?"

Canon nodded and Jason mock saluted him before saying, "Expect to hear from me in a few days."

Jason left. Canon frowned. Then getting up, he paced angrily up and down like a caged lion before yanking his door open and setting out for home his face stony. Walking past Rose's desk, he glanced down at the empty chair then glanced at his watch shocked to see it was after seven already. He was going to be late! Layla was probably waiting on him at the Estate. Hurrying out to his car, he jumped in and headed home.

​Layla stepped inside the Estate and looked around the living room for Canon. She checked her phone. It was six thirty, he should be home. Worriedly, she dialed his number and listened to his phone go straight to voicemail. Dropping her phone and jacket on the couch, she walked around the room noticing the mess from the day before was completely gone. Mary must have working like crazy to clean it.

Seven fifteen and Layla was sitting in the leather recliner, looking out the window when Canon's car pulled to stop in front of the house. She pushed the afghan off and folding it back up neatly as he entered the house. "Honey, I'm home!" he called, chuckling.

His gaze softened when he saw her and he hurried to say, "I'm sorry I'm so late. I got caught up with things at work and lost track of time."

Layla made a dismissing sign with her hand and said, "It's fine."

Canon grinned and said, "I'm a little late, but I hope you are hungry. I sure am. Get your coat."

Layla moved to the couch and asked excitedly, "Where are we going?"