Chapter 8

"Yes, Mr. Wilde," said Layla politely, standing before his desk.

"I want a cup of coffee," he said coldly and without preamble.

Layla's bit her tongue and wheeled around. She supposed she should just put a coffee maker in her office. It would save time. After she made his cup of coffee, she set it on his desk and turned to go. "Layla," he said, making her pause, "Sit down, I have some questions."

He took a sip of his coffee with his still bandaged hand and Layla nodded sitting down in the leather chair in front of his desk. Canon pulled her folder out of a drawer in his desk and said, "Read this."

Layla's eyes skimmed the file, humiliation burning her cheeks. She snapped the file closed and attempted to compose herself as she asked, "I suppose this means I'm fired?"

"Well," Canon said, detecting the tremble in her voice, "I hire only the best of the best here at Wilde Brothers Incorporated. It's clear to see you fall below this criteria, Miss Kelly. So tell me, what should I do with you, hmm?"

He looked up into her eyes and saw they were glassy with tears. "I am sorry," he said sincerely, "That was tactless of me."

"You darn right it was," Layla scowled.

"Lower your voice," he commanded.

Layla resisted the urge to stomp her foot like a petulant child at the arrogant man. Her voice lowered. "What questions did you have to ask?" she spat.

"I run a full background check on every employee in my office," informed Canon, "I have a high profile company. Now I could only find information on you for the past three years. You graduated college, worked at a grocery store, then at a bakery down the street. With your education, why were those the only jobs you worked? Why can't I find any information on you other than the past three years? What are you hiding?"

Layla took a deep breath and said, "The reason I only worked at jobs that were below my expertise level for so long was because I couldn't get hired. I have a past. One I don't really want to disclose."

"If you want to keep your job," interrupted Canon, "I need full disclosure and someone to corroborate your story. I'm giving you a second chance. I don't give many of those."

"Alright, alright," said Layla, "I can give you the name of my former lawyer. He can verify what I'm going to tell you."

Canon nodded and said, "Well, begin."

"My lawyer erased everything from my past," said Layla, "Upon my request."

"What's his name?" Canon asked, ready to shoot Carter the name of the man.

"Peter Stillwater," answered Layla.

Canon looked back up expectantly and Layla said, "I had a rough childhood. My father left me with my aunt when I was seven. My step-uncle was abusive. I was seventeen when I almost killed him. It was self-defense, but he tried to have me committed for attempted murder."

Canon's eyes were wide with shock, but Layla never looked up to notice. She continued, "My aunt and a couple of our neighbors finally testified against him and he went to prison. But it was a light sentence. I don't try to think about it."

"My lawyer was an old family friend," Layla said, "I think he had had a thing for my mother before her and my father happened. But anyway, he took good care of me in court. My defense was flawless. However, the court thought that I needed some counseling after everything that happened. So they sent me to a mental hospital for two years. Thankfully, I was an outpatient."