Chapter 20

Layla smiled and said shyly, "I'd like that."

Canon grinned and tightened his hold on her hand. Somehow this incredible woman sitting next to him had wound her way into his heart in the short time he had known her; breaking down his walls as if they were made out of cardboard.

She bit her lip, chewing on it until it was raw. She didn't notice Canon's eyes on her; so caught up was she in her thoughts.

"Angel, stop over-thinking," he said softly, using the nick name he'd decided fit her perfectly.

Layla felt the tell-tale blush creep up her cheeks and Canon chuckled. "You're cute when you blush," he mumbled.

Layla turned redder and commanded, "Stop it!"

"Stop what?" Canon turned to her with innocent eyes.

Layla looked up to catch a smirk on his face. "You're cute when you're embarrassed," he continued, teasing her, "You're oh so sexy when you're mad. Adorable when you're shy. Beautiful at all times, and gorgeous when you smile."

Layla groaned. Her face felt like it was on fire. "Oh," said Canon mischievously, "Did I mention you're sexy when you groan? It's kind of a turn on."

Layla gasped and made a mental note to express her frustration in some other way. She heard Canon laugh and they pulled up outside her apartment and got out. Canon followed her up the stairs and she opened the door. Layla stopped so quickly Canon bumped into her, knocking her forward into the half-open door. She clapped her hand over her eyes and shrieked.

Rose looked up at the sudden noise and shrieked jumping halfway across the room. Jester sat up on the couch from his previous position and his face was beet red. Rose was apologizing all over the place but was suddenly stopped when Layla yelled in delight, startling Canon.

"I knew it!" she yelled, launching herself at Jester and giving him a noogie, "You guys are so cute together! I ship it."

Jester turned redder and Rose hid her face in her hands. Layla hugged her next and said, "I totally called that, by the way. This is so awesome!"

Suddenly, Jester saw Canon still standing in the doorway and asked, "Um, Layla, what's he doing here?"

Now it was Layla's turn to blush. "Um," she said nervously, "He's staying the night."

Rose shot her a knowing look and Jester frowned. Layla nodded at him reassuringly and asked, "So give me the details! Are you guys together or what?"

Rose looked shy and Jester went to stand by her, tugging her into his arms as he said warmly, "We are."

Layla clapped her hands like a two-year-old. "I knew it, I knew it," she sang happily.

Jester glared at her and Layla stopped doing her crazy dance with a giggle. Canon stepped up behind Layla and wrapped his arms around her as he whispered in her ear.

Layla felt his warm minty breath tickle her ear and repressed a shiver. The things this man did to her were unlawful! She forced herself to focus on what he was saying.

"Layla," he whispered, kissing her earlobe.

Quickly tugging herself free from his grasp before she did something foolish like throw her arms around his neck and kiss him deeply and passionately in front of Jester and Rose, she stepped away from him and looked at the two lovebirds cooing in the corner.

Detecting the hurt look on Canon's face, Layla automatically reached out and grabbed his hand in reassurance. He squeezed back looking relieved and Layla cleared her throat awkwardly and said, "Yeah, okay, well we're going to bed now."

Jester grinned cheekily as they headed down the hallway and yelled, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

Layla felt her cheeks burn and heard the deep rumble of Canon's laugh. Stepping inside her room, she tripped over Canon and hit her head on the open door. He immediately righted her and started apologizing while trying to look at her head in concern. Layla was still getting used to the fact that Canon Wilde, CEO of his own company and admitted jerk, actually knew what 'sorry' meant. She laughed, rubbing her forehead and said, "I'm alright. Just going to change into my pajamas."

She pulled gently away from him and went to her closet pulling out a pair of leggings and a t-shirt. Walking over to the bathroom, she stopped Canon from following her in. "Oh no," she said grinning cheerfully, "I'm perfectly capable of changing clothes by myself."

He pouted and turned his back, letting her close the door. Layla chuckled and quickly changed clothes before walking back out. Canon was lying on her bed in his black boxers and dress shirt. Layla's eyes traveled down the unbuttoned shirt, glued to his toned, tanned skin.

"Enjoying the view?" he asked smugly.

Layla gulped and looked around inquisitively. "What view?" she asked innocently.

She laughed at the crestfallen look on Canon's face and turned to toss her clothes in the dirty clothes basket. "What about now?" the voice now literally centimeters from her ear caused a shiver to run down Layla's spine.

She felt Canon's arms snake around her waist and then she was spun around to face him, losing her balance and collapsing into his rock-hard chest with a gasp. Before she had time to react, his lips were on hers, sucking and pulling her deeper and deeper into a black abyss.

Gasping for breath, she finally pulled away and realized he was panting hard too. He leaned his forehead against hers as their breathing slowed. His eyes had turned smoky blue and his lips were swollen from the heated kiss. Layla didn't realize she was trembling until he held up her hand questioningly and she saw it shaking. "Are you alright?" he asked concerned.

"I am great," she whispered dreamily, looking up at him. She'd just had the best kiss of her life! What was not to like?

He grinned then and scooped her up off her feet carrying her bridal style to the bed where he laid her down gently before crawling under the covers next to her and cuddling close. When they couldn't get any closer, he buried his face in her neck and sighed, his breath creating butterflies in Layla's stomach.
Layla absentmindedly played with his hair as he wrapped his arms around her and settled down reminding her eerily of a puppy. She giggled then and pressed a kiss to Canon's forehead. "Goodnight," she whispered softly.

"Mmm," he answered, kissing her neck.

.........

Canon, my adorable man. Oh welcome back Wildies! Lol vote and comment please!

Sincerely,

Scarlett McLeod