Epilogue: Chapter 20

"Mommy!"

Layla  sighed as her small son barreled into the room still shrieking, "Mommy!" He had been in the kitchen helping Mary bake cookies all afternoon and was obviously on a sugar high.

She stood from her seat by the fireplace and asked, "What is it, Michael?"

She caught him in her arms and swung the four year old up and into a warm hug. His blue eyes so much like Canons sparkled with joy as he looked up at her.

"Daddy's home," he squeaked, wriggling about in excitement.

Layla's eyes lit up as she thought about her husband. Five years of marriage and it still seemed so strange to say that. She set her son down and they both ran to the door as it opened and Canon walked in.

He had been on a weeklong business trip and Layla missed him dearly. He swung Michael up into his arms.

"Daddy," he squealed, wrapping his arms around his neck and squeezing.

Canon choked slightly and said, "Careful ."

Michael pouted but loosened up his arms. Layla gave him a peck on the cheek and whispered, "Welcome home."

Canon grinned and said, "A man could get used to this kind of welcome."

Mary stepped out of the kitchen and smiled and nodded at him. He engulfed her in a side hug and then asked, "What's for dinner, Mary? I'm starving."

Layla laughed and said, "Well you won't be. Mary has been cooking all your favorites."

Layla watched her husband critically. The past five years were good to him. He was thirty four and looked to be the same age as when she met him with the exception of a few laugh lines. Canon was glowing. She smiled in satisfaction at giving him what he needed. She remembered all to vividly how cold, hard, and unfeeling he used to be. The man now standing in the living room and tossing his son in the air was nothing like the man she met. She had changed that. And she was immensely proud of that fact.

Her hand went to her stomach as she anticipated telling Canon her news tonight. She hoped it would make him happy. They were going to be parents for the second time.

.........

"Time for bed," sang out Layla as she watched her husband and son whine from the couch.

"Five more minutes," begged Canon.

Layla shook her head in amusement as Michael clambered onto his daddy's lap and said, "Yeah Mommy, five more minutes!"

Layla sighed and said, "Fine but Canon you're responsible for getting this reprobate into bed in five minutes."

She dropped a kiss on his cheek and whispered, "I have a surprise for you."

She hugged Michael as he tried to make his Thomas train set stay on the tracks and refused to meet Canons inquisitive gaze. She paused at the stairs and turned and winked at Canon. She scurried up the stairs as Canons eyes darkened.

Fifteen minutes later, Layla stood nervously in front of the mirror staring at her reflection. Michael, though she loved him dearly, had gifted her with stretch marks from the pregnancy. Her breasts weren't as perky as they had been, and her hips were considerably wider. She patted her stomach again as she whispered, "So worth it, little one."

The bedroom door opened and she heard Canons suitcase hit the floor. "Michael in bed?" She called from the bathroom.

"Yes, m'lady," answered Canon, "Now where is my surprise?"