Chapter 26

The next day, Jason called Canon. "Our man, Leon, is in Canada," stated Jason.
"What?" asked Canon.
"Yeah, he bragged to his prison mates about what he was going to do when he got out and he mentioned Toronto," said Jason, "I contacted a friend and he did some digging for me, and I'm almost positive Leon is in Toronto, Canada somewhere."
"I'm not even going to ask how you got that information," Canon stated.
Jason chuckled over the phone and said, "Persuasion, my friend, persuasion."
"Layla I need you to get ready to go to Toronto,"Canon texted Layla.
He looked up as Layla stepped into his office, a puzzled look on her face. "Toronto?" she asked.
Canon nodded and motioned for her to come closer. He pulled her down on his lap and sighed, relaxing as she settled sideways, her legs draped over the arm of his chair. "What's the matter?" asked Layla softly.
"Jason found the man that wrote the letters" he said, leaning his head against hers, "After he got out of prison, the man headed to Toronto, presumably to meet up with someone. He's there now."
"What are you going to do?" asked Layla, pulling away to look him in the eye.
"I'm going to Toronto," he growled, "Jason's headed there now and we're going to have a meeting with the RCMP and see what they can do to help. It's convenient that I have a plant there."
"Ok," nodded Layla.
"What happens if your father is involved?" asked Layla quietly.
"He'll go to prison," murmured Canon.
"Does your father know you reopened the case?" asked Layla.
"No," answered Canon, "Not yet."
Layla pushed his hair out of his face and wrapped her arms around him as he said, "I didn't tell him at the time because he would have just told me to let it go. Let the past be in the past. I can't tell him now because he could be involved."
"So we're going to Toronto," stated Layla, changing the subject, "When do we leave?"
"Tonight," answered Canon, "I have a meeting to go to tomorrow morning in the Canadian branch of the company. I was going to do it over the phone, but I'll use this as my excuse to go."
Layla nodded and said, "I'll need to go home and tell Jester and get some things. How long will we be gone?"
"Three days," said Canon, "I already have the RCMP searching for Leon Hernandez, but I want to talk with them personally."
Layla stiffened at the name. Canon looked up at her to see her eyes glazed over and a look of sheer panic on her face. "Layla," he said shaking her, "What's wrong?"
Finally, she looked at him, fear in her eyes and whispered, "Are you sure Leon Hernandez is the right name?"
She didn't even wait for him to respond. "Surely it's a coincidence," she whispered, staring out the window behind Canon's desk, "After all, there's lots of Leon Hernandez's in the world."
Canon shook her again this time a little more frantically. "Layla," he shouted, "Snap out of it."
She turned to look at him. "Who is Leon Hernandez?" he asked sternly.
Layla blinked and whispered, "Jester's stepfather."
She jumped up and wrung her hands as she started pacing. "Surely it can't be the same man, right? I mean, you said he's in Toronto. He's supposed to still be in prison. I mean, it's got to be a different man."
Gently, Canon took her in his arms and said, "Love, the Leon I'm looking for was released from prison about a month ago."
Layla trembled as she clung to him. "He won't hurt you," promised Canon fiercely, "Or any of your family. I'll make sure of it."
Layla nodded against his chest and then reached for her cell-phone. "Aunt May will know," she whispered, "Aunt May will know if he's out or not."
"Jason talked to Leon's ex-wife," said Canon.
"She's my aunt," murmured Layla.
Hurriedly, she dialed the number and waited for her aunt to pick up the phone. Her fears were confirmed. Leon Hernandez was out of prison and it looked like the man Canon was searching for and Jester's stepdad were one and the same. Layla was shaking by the time she hugn up from the phone.
Canon called Jason and Carter and gave them the new information.
He had just hung up the phone when his office door burst open and his father marched in. Layla scrambled to get away from Canon, remembering their no touching rule too late. She started to edge towards the door when steely blue eyes just like Canon's pinned her in place. She glanced nervously over at Canon.
"What do you want?" asked Canon tiredly, sitting down in his chair.
"Why did you throw Sophia out?" demanded Mr. James, his face red.
Canon sighed, running his hands through his hair as he said in a strained voice, "Dad, I don't have time for this right now."
"Answer the question," growled James Wilde.
Canon shrugged and said, "She slapped my girlfriend."
Layla shifter uncomfortably while Mr. James just looked more irate. "Girlfriend?" he sneered, "This little whore is using you, Canon. And you're too blind to see it."
Now Canon was angry and he seethed, "Don't ever call Layla that again."
"Or what?" goaded Mr. James, "You'll punch me? I'm your father and I still have control over you. I can resume ownership of this company whenever I want."
Canon narrowed his eyes at his father and motioned Layla to come closer. With a thankful sigh, Layla went to the safe haven of his arms and wrapped her arms around him. "She's my choice," said Canon with finality, "Not Sophia and not some other society girl that you could pick out for me. What kind of father tries to make his son marry a woman he doesn't love?"
"A father that's looking out for his son's best interests," snarled Mr. James, "Do you have any idea how much that deal with Sophia's father is worth? Millions of dollars and he just called it off. What am I supposed to do now?"
Canon shrugged and held Layla tighter. "I don't know," he snapped, "And I don't care. But you can't use me in any way form or fashion in your business deals from now on. I run this business now."
Mr. James cast a hateful look at Layla and said, "You will marry Sophia. I cannot lose this deal. Is that clear?"
Canon gritted his teeth and Layla could sense how angry he was becoming the more Mr. James pushed. "Apparently," ground out Canon, "You didn't get the memo. I will not marry Sophia or anyone else that is not of my choosing."
"She would make a fine wife," insisted Mr. James, "She's beautiful and accomplished. You should be honored that a woman like her is even considering marrying you. She's nothing like this chit."
"I don't love her," stated Canon.
Mr. James scoffed. "Love is not a necessary part of the equation," he said, "It'll come later if you both are willing. But love is not necessary in a marriage."
"It is in mine," growled Canon, "Now get out."
Mr. James stopped at the door and sneered, "I suppose you're going to marry the ex-convict instead. She'll ruin you, Canon."
With that, he turned and left. Layla turned tear-filled eyes to Canon and whispered, "What if he's right?"
"No," snapped Canon, holding her close, "He doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't know us. He doesn't know you."
"I hope you are right," murmured Layla into his shirt.
"I know I am," insisted Canon, "Don't even think like that. It's I who don't deserve you, love. You're an angel and I'm a beast."
Layla grinned up at him adorably and whispered, "You're my beast."
Canon smiled down at her, his worried look disappearing. "I'm your beast," he affirmed, "And you're my angel."
"Listen," said Canon, stepping away from her and taking her hands in his, "I know I said I'd wait until Saturday, but I told you already. And I can't wait anymore."
He took a deep breath and asked, "I know this is all sudden. And we haven't really discussed what we are as a couple. But I want us to be together."
He looked into her eyes nervously and said, "I guess what I'm asking is what do you think?"
"You mean as girlfriend and boyfriend?" asked Layla, grinning at his nervousness.
Canon nodded, anxiousness welling up inside him. He'd never tried this whole relationship thing before. He didn't know if he'd be much good at it. Not that he was going to be running to other women. Far from it; he knew no other woman would satisfy and make him feel things that Layla mde him feel. He was just worried he'd say the wrong thing, or not make her happy. Layla squealed and jumped into his arms. "Of course," she breathed.
"Good," said Canon with relief, "I was as nervous as a sixteen year old boy asking out his first date."
Layla laughed as he murmured, nuzzling her neck, "I was going to do something fancy and take you out on another date and then ask you, but my plans somehow always get foiled."
"I don't mind," answered Layla, kissing him.
"How about going out with me in Toronto," suggested Canon, "I'll take you to see an opera or something."
Layla giggled. "You don't have to, Canon," she said, "As sweet as that is, I'm cool with just a movie at the hotel. I know how it is with the press following you everywhere."
Canon grinned mischievously. "Snuggle time?" he asked hopefully.
"Oh my word," ejaculated Layla before kissing him on the cheek and saying, "Snuggle time, Mr. Teddy Bear."
........
Layla made the arrangements with Canon's private jet for their departure time and then hurried home to pack a bag. She had things at Canon's Estate, but he'd neglected to buy her a swimsuit and Canon had informed Layla that the hotel they were staying in had a pool. She was definitely going to swim at least one night while they were in Toronto. Jester tried to talk her out of going.
"Layla," he protested, "You're going on a trip with a guy you barely know."
"He's my boss," said Layla throwing her hand is the air at Jester's immaturity, "I'm kind of required to go where he goes. I signed the contract after all. I'm bound to him for the next five years."
Layla ignored the disapproving look she got at the five years comment.
"So that's all there is to this trip?" asked Jester suspiciously, folding his arms across his chest.
"Yup," Layla grinned innocently.
"She's lying," said Rose matter-of-factly, exiting the kitchen with a bowl of cereal in her hands.
"What am I running here," asked Layla exasperated, "A restaurant?"
Rose plopped down on the couch with a grin and sang, "You know you love me."
Jester grabbed the spoon from her hand and Rose growled at him when he tried to steal a bite. "Never mess with my food, chicken man," she warned, snatching the spoon back.
"Geez," he muttered offended, but sitting down beside her anyway.
"Oh," Rose informed Layla, "You're out of milk, by the way."
Layla shook her head, trying not to laugh as Jester tried to sneak another bite and got rapped on the head with a metal spoon, dripping with milk. "I'm going pack," said Layla an amused look on her face, "Canon's picking me up in about two hours."
Layla's face sobered as she realized she needed to tell Jester about Leon. She paused and said quietly, "Jester, I need to talk to you."
He looked at her and then noticed the serious look on her face. "Sure, Layla. What's up?"
Layla motioned him to follow her into the hallway and then spoke in a hushed tone so Rose couldn't hear and said hesitantly, "Um, well, I found out today that Leon got out of prison."
Jester's face went white and has asked shakily, "Are you sure?"
"Yeah," Layla's voice was soft as she saw in her fear she apparently wasn't alone, "I called your mom. She confirmed it."
"Confirmed it?" asked Jester confused, "What do you mean? Did you know about it before hand?"
"No," Layla hesitated, "I told Canon about my past and he checked up on Leon. Told me not to worry about anything."
Layla felt bad telling a bold faced lie to Jester. But it was Canon's story about his mom and sister and she didn't think he'd appreciate her even sharing it with Jester. It was Canon's story to tell. She'd ask him later if it was okay to tell Jester the whole story, but for now, her little lie would have to do.
Jester's face was anxious as he asked, "Do you think he'll try to find us?"
Layla didn't answer for a moment and then she replied, "I don't know, Jester. I don't know what he would gain by looking for us."
She stepped forward and engulfed Jester in a hug. "We're gonna be alright," she murmured.
Jester's expression was fierce as he looked at her and vowed, "He'll never hurt you again, Layla, I promise."
"Then make sure you don't get hurt," responded Layla, "Because whoever hurts you hurts me."
.....
"So," grinned Rose plopping down on the bed and rifling through Layla's packed suitcase, "What did you pack? Something sexy?"
"Rose," yelled Layla, exiting the bathroom with her toiletries, "Stop going through my clothes. I had them all neat and tidy. Now look what you did."
"It looks fine, Miss Neat Freak," defended Rose, "So did you pack something sexy?"
Layla blushed and furiously shook her head. "No," she muttered.
"Ah hah," shrieked Rose, looking pleased with herself, "You did pack something sexy."
She pulled out the underwear Layla had carelessly stowed in a side pocket. "Rose!" yelled Layla trying to grab it from her friends hand while Rose waved it through the air like a banner, "Give that back."
She finally managed to grab it back and she stuffed into her suitcase embarrassedly as Rose teased her about it mercilessly. "I like pretty underwear," Layla defended.
Rose nodded smugly.
"So," Rose demanded, lying down on the bed, "Are you and Mr. Wilde a couple yet?"
Layla blushed and Rose grinned. "Aha," she sang out, "I knew it! When did it happen?"
"This afternoon," said Layla softly.
Rose squealed.
Layla was infinitely relieved when her phone chimed signaling a text from Canon saying he would be at her apartment in five minutes. "Gotta go," she grinned slamming the suitcase shut and grabbing her purse and phone. She pulled the suitcase out into the living room where Jester sat, glued to the TV, the carton of icecream in his hand.
"Yes!" he shouted suddenly, pumping his fist in the air. Layla glanced at the TV to see a football game on and giggled. "Try to keep Jester out of trouble while I'm gone," she told Rose and then frowned, "Maybe I should tell him to keep you out of trouble."
"Couldn't hurt," answered Rose, giving her a hug as Canon knocked on the door. She went to open it.
Canon was excited about the trip and it had nothing to do with the fact that he was closing in on his mother's murderer. It did, however, have everything to do with a certain curly-haired, hazel-eyed PA of his. "You ready to go?" he asked, tilting his head to look inside her apartment. The TV was really loud and apparently the team Jester was rooting for had just scored a touchdown.
"Yeah," Layla almost shouted to be heard, "Let me grab my stuff."
She hugged Jester from behind and didn't even think he was aware of her presence. Canon grabbed her suitcase for her to carry down the apartment stairs and the two headed for the door.
"Give me the remote," shrieked Rose, trying unsuccessfully to grab it away from Jester.
"Are you out of your mind?" he exploded, "There's no way we're changing the channel to Vampire Diaries. The Hawks are about to win."
Layla closed the door on the two still squabbling and released a long-pent-up laugh. "Oh my gosh," she chuckled.
"Are they always like that?" grinned Canon in puzzlement.
"Pretty much," answered Layla as they descended the stairs, "Rose has practically moved in my apartment now. Her and Jester are a cute couple but crazy together."
Canon chuckled too and said, "I can see that."
He stowed the suitcase in the trunk of the black Mercedes and opened the back door for Layla to get in. "I'm having Matt drive us to the airport," he explained, "Carter will meet us there."
Layla nodded and got in. Canon motioned for Matt to drive and Layla settled against the leather seat with a sigh. Canon scooted over and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "You okay?" he asked.
"Yeah," breathed Layla looking up at him and then pressing a soft kiss to his cheek.
"Good," smiled Canon.

.........

Vote and comment!!