Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

The scouts sat around the campfire and were eating supper. The sun had just disappeared behind the horizon, but still gave off a little light.

"So what lives in the ocean?" Eren asked. "I know there are fish, but is there anything else?"

"There are a lot of things in the ocean. There are sharks, which are meat eating fish, whales that are as long as the scout's headquarters and weird eight legged octopus." Matthew said. "We don't know too much about what's down there. Less than twenty percent of it was explored."

"Why wasn't it explored?" Connie asked setting his dishes down in the sand.

"The pressure vas too much. It could kill jou if jou go too deep." The albino explained lying back and looking up at the sky.

"What is an octopus?" Armin asked raising an eyebrow.

"They were weird. They were like jelly and had no bones. They had eight tentacles with suction cups on them." Matthew said remembering when Gilbert and him had gone to an aquarium.

"That's weird." Sasha said. "What did it taste like?"

"I never ate it." Canada said.

"I don't blame you." Eren said with a disgusted face.

"Some people did. My brother's friend Japan did." Prussia said absentmindedly. The sun had fully gone down now and the only lights were from the fire and stars.

"Are we going back through the same route?" Krista asked watching the horses.

"No. We'll head up the shore a little ways. Then it's pretty much a straight shoot back." The Canadian said with a yawn.

"How are your ribs?" Mikasa asked.

Canada shrugged. "Still healing and a little bit sore. They should be healed by tomorrow." He said. His ribs only ached now and weren't bothering too much.

"That's amazing! Why do you heal so quickly?" Armin asked excitedly waiting for Matthew to reply.

"As long as our land is fine we will heal quickly, but if our land or people had been affected then we don't heal well." The blond explained. "I haven't had too many bad wars on my land. I don't have too much experience with it."

"Can you still catch a cold?" Sasha asked.

Canada looked over to Prussia who was looking back and snickering. Matthew smiled and rolled his eyes. "We can, but it's pretty hard too."

"Can you die?" Jean asked bluntly.

"We can, but we're not really sure how." Canada shrugged.

"My vater, not really my vater; none of us are actually related by blood. He died." Gilbert said sitting up. "One day he just disappeared. Ve don't know if it vas because he didn't have land anymore or just faded from memory. In either case ve should have died avhile ago, but ve clearly haven't."

"Clearly. You can't die from injury? Or drowning?" Mikasa asked.

"It's never happened before. We just kind of pass out if the damage is really bad and go into a healing state." Canada explained.

"How come that didn't happen to you?" Connie asked.

"My injuries weren't too bad." The Canadian shrugged. "It only really happens if there is internal damage or if there are a lot of broken bones or cuts."

"Was your medical technology more advanced?" Armin asked.

"In a way, yes. We were starting to invent ways to heal people without opening them up. Little robots that could heal internal damage as well as kill diseased cells." Canada explained. "But at the same time these were things being made more and more diseases were coming about. We were kinda stuck."

"What was your favourite thing that doesn't exist anymore?" Eren asked.

"Joutube." Prussia said quickly. "Or the Internet in general."

"Internet?" Sasha asked absentmindedly.

"It vas a network that connected people all over the world." Prussia explained. "It vas a good vay to communicate."

"Although it was used more for memes than anything." Matthew grumbled.

"That vas the best part." Gilbert laughed. Matthew rolled his eyes. "I already know Birdie's favourite."

"Of course you do." The Canadian said. "I talked about them before. Mine is airplanes or skimmers. Both were amazing."

"The big metal birds?" Eren asked and Canada nodded. "Flying would be a lot cooler than talking to people."

"Meh, both vere amazing and vill hopefully come back one day." Prussia shrugged. "It's getting late. Ve don't need to get up early, but ve do need sleep."

"Okay. Are we doing watches again?" Krista asked with a yawn.

"Yes. Titans don't seem to like the saltwater and don't tend to come down here, but we should still keep watch just in case." Matthew said.

"Right. I'll take a watch." Mikasa said. "Where should we sit?"

"How about that tree?" Connie said pointing to one of the trees on the very edge of the tree line.

"That vill vork." Prussia said.

"I'll take watch as well." Jean said quickly. Mikasa nodded and stood up. "Who's up after us?"

"I will." Eren said.

"I will too." Connie said with a yawn.

The scouts stood up and put their dishes away before going to their sleeping bags. Everyone was spaced out in pairs and trios around the fire. Canada and Prussia walked over to their sleeping bags. The blond took his jacket off and laid it over his pack. He sat down on his sleeping bag and pulled the covers up. Gilbert did the same, but kept his jacket on.

"It's chilly out." The albino said scooching closer to Matthew. "How are jour ribs?"

"Almost healed. They should be fully tomorrow." Matthew said as Gilbert wrapped his arms around his waist.

"Healed enough to cuddle?" Prussia asked with an innocent face.

"Always."