Chapter 8: The Past Unlocked

I quickly ran upstairs, still thinking about what Sonic and those girls said.

"It had to be that Shadow guy, ever since what's-her-face left he's been acting so rudely...."

"Uh, just be careful when you talk to him, M'kay?"

What did they mean? Who was that fox talking about? And, why was Sonic so uneasy when I mentioned Shadow? It was absolutely confusing, but I knew that Shadow was a nice guy. I don't know why, but I trusted him.

I ran all the way up to the sixth floor and stood at a door. Since the roof was on the seventh floor, only certain were allowed up there, having the key to open the door.

"There has got to be a way to open this door..." I thought, looking for a spare key anywhere. Nothing. I sighed, thinking of what else I could do. Then, the most stupidest idea came into my brain. I backed up from the door, about being a yard away, and ran towards it. I readied my shoulder and slammed into the door. The door shook but didn't open.

"Owwww......." I groaned, taking a couple steps back and rubbing my shoulder, "Ugh, I can't open this door.... it's impossible....!" I looked at the handle and exhaled.

"Why not just turn the handle (Y/N)? I'm sure that it's open!" I thought to myself. I rolled my eyes and touched the handle door. I held it firm and slowly twisted, thinking it wouldn't open. The handle turned all the way.

.....

I opened the door. It was that easy. I facepalmed and went up to the roof. The roof had a lot of machines, the air conditioner, the electricity grid and all the important stuff. It was like a giant outdoor maze, and it took me about five minutes to get through it. I saw Shadow sitting on the ledge of the building, staring out at the city.

"How should I do this? Should I tap him on the shoulder? Or should I sit next to him? Clear my throat? Just say Hi?" I thought thinking of all the possibilities on how I should greet him. I felt like I was over exaggerating this, but I felt really nervous. I stood there, still thinking on what I could do.

"If you're going to just stand there, then I suggest you leave." Shadow spoke coldly.

"O-oh, s-sorry...." I softly said. I slowly walked to the ledge and sat near Shadow. An awkward silence fell upon us both, until finally I spoke up.

"So.... how's your day been going?"

"...."

"Um... do you like the city?"

"Are you going to keep asking me these stupid questions or are you going to ask what you really what to know?" Shadow said, not even looking at me. I sighed.

"O-okay... so the red gem you had earlier, w-was it a c-chaos emerald....? People told me they weren't real that it was just a stupid story...." I stammered. Shadow scoffed.

"Those people must've been idiots. Of course they're real. Do none of your people know the stories with the faker and the emeralds?" Shadow scoffed. I tilted my head.

"Faker?" I pondered. Shadow looks slightly suprised but still had a that unemotional look.

"Nevermind.... what else did you want to know?"

"Well, who was that guy you were talking to.....?"

"That is confidental information." Shadow said immediately. I pout.

"You said you would answer my questions."

"I did."

"No you didn't. You just said that information is confidental."