Jeffrey Mace

"Everyone please remain calm. It will be okay. Help is coming." I reassured, as I knelt down onto the floor in front of an elderly lady ready to pull the fallen beam from across her midriff, trapping her to the floor.

"And how long will that take?! We could be dead before help arrives!" Janet, the most annoying, snotty, disrespectful colleague I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

This caused people to panic again.

Screams came from those still getting uncovered from fallen rubble.

Crying from those cowering in the corner.

"Stop it Janet! We are all going to be okay. We are all going to make it out alive. But so God help me if you don't get down off of that table and start helping other people I will come over there and drag you off of the table myself!" I snapped at her, which caused her mouth to gape before she shut it again.

It felt so good to finally snap back at Janet. 

She had been causing me misery since I had joined the business.

I felt a hand clasp my back before two more hands wrapped around the beam I was struggling to lift to free the now semi-conscious elderly lady. 

"I'm so proud of you." Chris, my best friend here smiled.

"Someone had to do something." I returned his smile.

"I only came here to visit my g-godson. It's his birthday t-today." the woman coughed.

"I'm _____. This is Chris." I introduced as we pulled her from the rubble.

She smiled in appreciation.

"Could you tell us who your godson is? Maybe we can pair you up with him while we wait for help?" Chris asked as he helped her hobble off in the direction of the unscathed group of individuals.

I heard a muffled cough within the rubble just as I turned my back on where Chris and I had uncovered the lady.

"Hello?" I shouted, trying to move the looser boulders of rubble.

"Help!" a familiar voice croaked.

"Sue?!" I shouted back, quickly moving rubble faster.

"It hurts!"

"It's okay Sue. Don't panic. I'm coming."

There was a long, paused silence.

"Sue?! Keep talking to me." I shouted.

"Oh god!" came the muffled reply.

"Sue?"

"My waters broken!"

"Janet!" I shouted, turning my head at the woman who stood helplessly in the middle of the room.

"Yes?" she asked, surprisingly happy to help.

She knelt down to help me start moving the rubble which was a surprise because she hates doing anything that could damage her perfect manicure.

"No. I need you and a few others to check if the lower levels of the building haven't been effected. If not. I need you and any others fit enough to support the injured to start moving people to the ground floor, or as far as you can go. Help is on it's way, but we cannot sit around forever and do nothing while we wait." I commanded.

She nodded quickly before scurrying off.

"Sue?! I need you to keep talking to me. I need your location so I can reach you faster." I said, looking around for any pair of extra hands but everyone was busy helping others out of the rubble or down the fire exit stairs.