12: elliot // Deal

t w e l v e

"Susie, why don't you say go another goodbye to Grace."

Elliot crouches down to her eye level, twirling a strand of her hair with his finger.

A wide grin grows on her small face as she nods and she dashes back into the room.

"So," Elliot lifts himself up before facing Doctor Gregory, "What did you want to talk to me about, Doctor?"

"Ah yes, well I wanted to talk to you about Grace."

"About Grace?"

"Yes."

"Doctor, I'm sorry to say this but we don't know her," he is quick to say, "This is the first time we've met and it was only by mistake as Susie went into her room withou-"

"No, no," the doctor interupts, quietening Elliot's rambling, "That is not an issue. Not at all. There is something else I want to talk to you about."

Doctor Gregory continues.

"I think it to be quite extraordinary of the fact that despite being, well strangers really, you have actually found out her name in less than ten minutes yet she hasn't spoken to us at all or uttered a single word in these past weeks."

"She seems to have..." Doctor Gregory pauses for a moment, his eyes drifting away from Elliot's face before landing his gaze back to him again with a satisfied smile.

"Well, it seems she has found herself able to connect with you and your sister. And I believe it may be what was missing and the solution to our problem. This entire time she has been here, she hasn't shown even the slightest amount of emotion and it is quite concerning."

There is a pregnant pause between them for a moment, as Elliot takes the words in.

He comes to notice faint sounds, hums and murmurs that drift around the corridor of the ward.

"Mr Dallas are you aware of her conditions?"

Elliot shakes his head, "Only vaguely."

The doctor nods in contemplation.

"We would like to ask of you a great favour."

His attention goes back to the doctor.

"A favour?"

"Yes, I wouldn't hope to ask too much of you and your sister but what Grace needs is company, company from individuals whom she would be more willing to open up to."

"Okay..."

"Would it be possible for you and your younger sister to come every few days, even a couple of days a week perhaps, to just interact with Grace?"

Elliot furrows his brow.

"I'm sorry Doctor, we already have a lot on our hands and-"

"Mr Dallas, the hospital will feel more than obliged to pay for your assistance."

This made Elliot quiet.

His family's financial situation was struggling at the moment due to their current circumstances but...

"I hope you understand that it would of great benefit for us, for Grace, if you were to offer your assistance and time. It would help Grace remarkably."

"So let me get this straight," Elliot speaks finally, "You want us to spend time with Grace?"

"Yes that is correct." The doctor confirms this with a fast nod.

Elliot notices the slight plea and even desperation on his face.

Such an offer didn't seem that awful. And it wasn't wrong. Was it?

Sure, it would make a massive contribution to his family's current financial situation and as the doctor said, it would also help Grace.

He thinks back to her frail state, the scars on her arm and the dull, washed out colour of her eyes.

He thinks of leaves and snow.

He hates to imagine what this girl could've possibly encountered in her lifetime to have been forced to lost...

Hope.

His mind then drifts to his mother. He knows it, but she is slowly fading right before his eyes.

Almost similarly to the girl...

He wants to help. He wants to help this girl. Maybe even for his mum, to help Grace in ways he was too late to help Mum.

"So do we have a deal?"

Elliot looks at the wall behind the doctor, his finger tapping onto his elbow as his mind is still settling onto the idea.

"Deal."

[a/n: this chapter has been edited as of 26/01/17]