44: Elliot ~ Stupid Realization

Chapter Forty-Four

Elliot lay awake, his limbs spread out on the bed as he stared at the random crack on the ceiling.

During the time that may as well had dragged on eternally, seeming like hours when really in reality, was only just past a single hour, he was no closer to sleep than he had even been before.

He couldn’t put his mind to rest.

He had tried turning to his left but soon found that it was too uncomfortable, and that the constant pounding that was felt and heard became too distracting, turning back to his right to be faced with the same problem. He had even become so frustrated at one point that he had tossed his doona aside and kicked away a stray pillow in an attempt to release whatever was pestering him inside.

However, no matter how hard he tried, the constant hammering could still be felt and it made him fill almost hollow inside.

Grace...

…“Nothing’s wrong…”

He bolted upright, breathing hard, so tempted to slap himself.

Her distant voice continued to echo across his mind, bouncing from side to side, replacing the throbbing he had heard before but instead swapping into a regret-like annoyance that made him feel so … so… pathetic.

He couldn’t believe he fell for the oldest trick. Of course something was wrong. Why had he let her off so easily?

He was such an idiot. He was such a stupid, stupid, stupid idiot.

He stood up from his mattress, feeling adrenaline pump through him and stepped towards the door, dodging over the discarded fabrics on the floor.

Elliot was on the brink of reaching for the doorknob, to storm out of his room to demand to see Grace, but, he had noticed a sound.

He heard the creaking sound of the front door, followed by the distant patter of footsteps heading outside.

Who on earth would be leav-

Elliot’s heart stopped.

Slamming the door open and skidding out in his socks, he was desperate see with his eyes that any sign of Grace of her still in the house was visible and that hopefully his ears and imagination had deceived him.

But instead, he was greeted by the chilly breeze, entering the house through the still open front door.

The front door… leading outside… into the night…

He doubled checked the bedroom doors.

Closed, closed, opened.

Grace’s door.

Of course it was hers.

But why did it shock him so much still.

The wind seemed to pick up and a single sheet of paper skidded across the floor and landed in front of his feet.

He should’ve at least shivered or felt some indication of the drop of temperature, but he didn’t; he was too distracted and shocked and confused and panicked even to feel anything but the ache within him.

Cautiously, as if it were to hurt him, he picked up the sheet from its corner with his two fingers and almost shakily, he flipped it over and peered at it. Even in the darkness, he could faintly make out the writing.

Elliot’s throat constricted as realization dawned on him.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid…

Of course, he hadn’t realized that she didn’t know; he was at paid at the hospital during the first days… And of course, when she would find out… she would take it the wrong way, but he didn’t blame her… who wouldn’t?

It was selfish, plain selfish and he regretted ever making the deal.

Why hadn’t he told her…? Why did he even accept the money in the first place…?

Of course, he did cancel the deal earlier on… but Grace didn’t know that. Grace didn’t even know about the cash in the first place and to make it seem like some secret was even more idiotic and plain reckless.

And now, she had run off…

He straightened himself up and immediately slid on his shoes, knowing what he had to do.

She couldn’t have run off too far but then again, she was an expert in the art of escape; fleeing, running, hiding, it was what she had been doing her whole life. Grace was a top class escape artist.

Perhaps he had been encouraging her to all this time…

Perhaps he thought that he had finally protected Grace from the monsters and that she would never feel any negative urges again… but he was wrong…

Elliot couldn’t believe he hadn’t seen it before.

It would never be that easy and he was persistent to find her all over again and bring her back… this time physically and for good.