#timewarp

"So do you have any idea where we are headed, Bess?" Nancy asked as the two hailed a cab in Charleston to take them to their accommodations.

"The brochure they sent me is for the Battery Carriage House Inn," Bess replied after getting inside the vintage yellow cab. She dug through her large lace-trimmed cross-body bag hoping to find it. "Yeah here it is, Nance have a look." She the teen while tossing the info packet to Nancy.

"This place is quite old. It dates back to the 1800s. And it states the house was battered during the Siege of Charleston, at that time the longest bombardment of a civilian population in the history of warfare. After the War, wealth had disappeared from Charleston. Blacklock and other Southern merchants and factors were broke. It is amazing that there was anyone at all to buy the property. The purchaser was a Southerner born in Georgetown, SC, but also a Yankee Colonel." Nancy read from the pamphlet it listed much more information that was best just highlighted.

"So Civil war history huh? Not really my thing. Have to admit it's better than just hanging around back home wasting our summer." Bess mused as she gazed out the window at the passing pictures of farmland.

"Looks like the place was renovated into a New York fashion of the time, known generally as Second Empire.", Nancy said while flipping through the pages. "The Pringles, who owned the home during the society's founding, converted the rear outbuilding into a "motor court" during the '20s and set up Burma Shave-style signs on the major roads coming into Charleston. By the 1960s, the rooms at 20 South Battery were then converted into small apartments and rented to college students. By the '80s, it returned to a Charleston historic district hotel and has been that way ever since." She turned to look up at Bess who had fallen asleep from just listening. Sighing the teen took off her light jacket to place over her best friend.

With Bess out, Nancy pulled out her Canon Eos to take a few shots of the countryside before they reached the city itself. Nancy had never been here before and felt quite excited to have the chance to photograph it.

"Miss would you mind if I turn on some light listening?", asked the aged cabby driver.

"Sure go ahead just please not be loud my friend has a bit of jet lag."

She reread the pamphlet once more. " The award-winning Battery Carriage House Inn is beloved for its romantic atmosphere and unique historic setting.", she sighed lost in thought. "I wonder what it must have been like back in the day." she thought to herself.

The city itself was unique with, ancient cobblestone roads, a rich history, and many gardens. Nancy enjoyed the sights and sounds. Breathing deeply even revealed the tingle of salt in the air, a clear sign that the ocean was not far away.

The cabby dropped them off just outside a large pair of iron gates that led to an inner courtyard.

"Nice," Bess exclaimed as they passed through to enter. The small courtyard was overflowing with climbing roses and palms of different heights. In the very center stood a fine stone fountain that features three young cupids. It was framed on either side by two large potted ferns.

"Yeah, it's more than I expected. That is for sure." Nancy replied as she took the lead ready to explore. Nancy was in deeper need of a good stretch after that long car ride. The inn white version shone bright white in the coastal sun. From a mast over the head, an American flag fluttered proudly.

Once inside the girls gravitated to the large desk. No one was in sight so Bess eagerly, in a child-like manner reached out and kept hitting the bell for assistance. That is until Nancy grabbed her arm to stop the imaging noise. Bess in response just shot her a playful look with her tongue stuck out.

"How may I help you?" Asked a man that seemed to jump out of nowhere. His sudden appearance made the girls jump but no real harm was done. He seemed a bit off. From the man's tall lanky stature, vintage mutton chops, hollowed face, a formal suit nothing seemed to be working in his favor.

Bess pulled out her paperwork from her boho chic shoulder bag. "Yes, we won the Zag Mag contest and are here to collect our rooms."

"I see are you quite sure miss?" the man asked.

"Why wouldn't she be?" Nancy butted in not caring for the man's attitude.

"Very well then come with me. You will be staying in room 10." he half grumbled before helping the girls take their luggage up. Once there he unlocked the door, however, he would not step foot in the room. Nancy tried to get him to bring in the luggage twice by gesturing to no avail. He simply just works not do it. "Good luck girls you will need it." He said before dashing off to presumably get back to work.

"What an oddball. We might need to keep an eye on him, you just never know what some freaks are up to." Bess commented as she threw her suitcases along the bed and started to unpack.

"Just one bed? It will do. Right, Bess?" Nancy asked as she started to unpack her stuff, into a tall chest drawer with an old tv resting on top.

"Yeah sure wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Reminds me in a way of all the sleepovers we used to have way back when we were little." Bess replied as she skirted around the room to explore a little. This room was dark and painted in a calming shade of powder blue. With a grand four-poster bed with a dainty lace canopy for flare. On either side were small nightstands with matching glass lamps filled with sea shells. Not much else was in the room beside a hope chest that rested at the end of the bed and a pair of straight-back sitting chairs covered in teal cashmere.

"Bess, what o you think of the place so far?" Nancy questioned. There, however, was no response. "Bess?"