#Uninvitedguest

"LADIES ARE YOU OK IN THERE?", Yelled a man as he banged at the hotel room door. The girls shoot up at the scare holding each other wide-eyed.

"Who is it?", Nancy asked in half in zombie mode.

"Hotel staff mam.", was the simple reply.

Bess started to get up, before calling out, "Hold on a second I'll be right there." Where her feet hit the floor they were unsteady. The girl held on to the wall for balance, as she made her way. She gave Nancy a quick glance before opening the door partway, not willing to grant entry.

"Excuse me miss are you ok, anything a miss?", asked a man with a round face and graying hair. He looked to be about Bess's height.

Bess opened the door just a bit more. "Why yes, we are just fine. But why do you need to know? Is something wrong?"

The man fiddled with his glasses and took a small step backward before clearing his throat. "You see miss, there was a break-in last night."

Bess's eyes went wide and her mouth dried. "Was there a robbery?"

"Strangely enough, it doesn't appear to be. All of the inn's assets seem to still be in place. We are just checking with the guests to be sure."

Bess shifted her weight to the right side. She bore a picked-off look still upset from being awoken so early. "So what did they want then?"

"I was hoping to find out soon miss. All we really know is that three people broke through a small side door last night to gain entry.", replied the man in a calm tone.

"What evidence is there?"

"The police were only able to find three pairs of wet shoe prints that lead up near the lobby desk." answered the man.

"Well if that is all, we have to get dressed.", Bess said while closing the door, without giving the man a chance to linger.

Nancy sat on the bed looking as pale as a ghost, "I think we need to get dressed and go have a look." Bess just sighed in reply before heading into the bathroom. Half an hour later, she came out dressed in a pair of cream lace shorts, a dark blue loose tank top, and badge sandals. When it was Nancy's turn to dress she chose a dusty pink skirt, stalk white ruffled tank, and a matching pair of slip-on lace-covered flats.

Without wasting time the two left their room and headed down to the lobby. The police were still there taking pictures. They had half the room taped off from guests. They got closer before Nancy paled, right there was the very same door they had come in last night. However, it was in splinters. "Nancy, are you thinking what I am?" Bess said shaking.

"That we were followed in last night?" Nancy asked. Bess shook her head yes. "It has to be, no one has used that door in a long time and besides that, it was hidden by the greenery. It would not have been visible later that night due to the darkness. Someone had to see use this door then did the same some time afterward.", Nancy concluded.