Chapter 4

After her nightly make-up lessons with her mother, Evie went to check on Carlos. Since Evil Queen usually stays around the center of the castle, she thought it's best if she hides him in the parlor at the edge of the castle.

He was currently asleep on the dusty old couch. He was hugging a pillow as he rocked left and right. Evie couldn't help but squeal. She thought he looked cute when he slept.

Cute? Where did that come from? She mentally asked herself.

She noticed that Carlos started moaning and repeatedly muttering the words "no" and "mom". From the looks of it, he was having a nightmare. She walks towards him and kneels next to the couch. She started petting him gently. Carlos stopped shaking and calmed down.

"It's okay. It's okay," she said softly, gently rubbing his hair. "You're okay. You're safe with me. Well, as safe as you can get in the house of the Evil Queen. But you're safe."

- ROTTEN TO THE CORE -

The next morning, Carlos wakes up and sees Evie sitting on the couch across him, eating a bowl of stale pudding. There was a tray on the table. Crusty oatmeal and a cup of black coffee.

"Thought you might be hungry," said Evie. "I forgot to feed you last night."

"What am I? A pet?" replied Carlos.

"No, but you are my prisoner," said Evie.

"Prisoner?" Carlos questioned.

"You're staying here with me until I let you go," said Evie. "That's not gonna be a problem, is it?"

"Like it matters what I think," said Carlos.

"Don't worry. I promised I won't hurt you," said Evie. "Well, go on. Eat."

Carlos takes the bowl and started eating. The oatmeal tasted terrible, but then again, all the food on the Isle does. It wasn't too bad though.

"I added a little spice," said Evie.

"You cook?" asked Carlos.

"Someone in this house has to," replied Evie. "If I can't make terrible food tolerable, I doubt I can make good food, well... good."

"I take it you and your mom aren't close?" guessed Carlos.

"My mom and I are close... in a way," said Evie. "She always makes sure I'm pampered like a princess. She always makes sure I listen to every make-up tip she has. Got to keep myself pretty."

"You're more than that for sure," said Carlos.

Carlos and Evie both froze. Evie blushed at the boy's words. Carlos felt embarrassed by what he said.

"What do you mean I'm more than just pretty?" asked Evie, curious.

"Well, y-y-you're more than just pretty. Y-You're b-beautiful," Carlos stuttered. "I mean there's-there's nothing w-w-wrong with that. You're beautiful. That's a good thing. Wait... I meant... you're gorgeous, but... wait... I..."

Evie covers her mouth as she started giggling, amused by Carlos' blabbering.

"I'm just gonna shut up now," said Carlos, eating his oatmeal rapidly.

"Well, thank you," said Evie.

"For what?" asked Carlos.

"For calling me pretty, and beautiful, and gorgeous," said Evie, wearing a proud smile on her face.

Carlos was blushing even harder. Evie decided to sit next to him. When her blue locks brushed against his shoulders, Carlos felt as hot as a volcano.

"Is it hot in here or is it just me?" he said, trying not to sound awkward.

"I think it's just me," said Evie flirtatiously, nudging his shoulder.

"Boys at school would definitely bow before you," commented Carlos.

"If I could go to school," said Evie sadly.

Carlos puts his hand on Evie's shoulder in a comforting manner.

"I'm sorry," said Carlos.

"It's not you who should be sorry. It's Maleficent and that daughter of hers," said Evie.

"You don't have to listen to them," said Carlos. "Besides, what's the point of keeping yourself beautiful if you're cooped up here? Why does your mother teach you about make-up anyway?"

"To be the Fairest of them All," answered Evie.

"Then you shouldn't let Maleficent or Mal keep you from showing everyone why you've earned that title," said Carlos.

"You really think I earned it?" asked Evie.

"Well, out of all the girls I've met, you're... definitely the prettiest," said Carlos, blushing as he did.

Evie blushed as well, flattered by his compliment.

"You really think I can fit in with the other villain kids?" asked Evie.

"I think you're more than qualified for that school," said Carlos. "You've got the style and the personality, that's for sure. Like I said, Mal would love you. She just needs to get to know you."

"I'll talk to mother then," said Evie, standing up. "Thanks."

"No problem," said Carlos.

"Since when are you wise?" asked Evie.

"I read a lot of books," said Carlos.

"So, you're a nerd?" asked Evie.

"Ever heard of Newton's Laws of Motion?" asked Carlos.

"No," said Evie.

"Then there's your answer," said Carlos with a smile.

Evie turns and leaves the room to find her mother. As she walked, she thinks about everything Carlos said to her. He certainly inspired her to take a step towards the mountain, but it was his compliments about her beauty that she can't stop thinking about.

She couldn't blame him for complimenting, but she felt that there was something more to his words than just being sincere. Why he was being sincere, she'll never know. But she also felt something inside her every time he admired her beauty.

What is this feeling?