Chapter 10

Carlos did as Mal said. He threw a party at his house, Hell Hall. Every villain kid showed up. Thirty minutes into the party, the only ones who haven't shown up are Mal and Evie.

A specific knock on the door causes everyone to stop. Recognizing the sound of the knock, Carlos takes a few deep breaths before answering the door. It was Mal, wearing leather shinier than she usually wears.

Carlos catches himself staring.

"Am I late?" asked Mal.

"H-Half an hour actually," said Carlos. "You look great."

"Is that sincerity or sarcasm?" asked Mal.

"Is it wrong if I was being sincere?" replied Carlos.

Mal just bumps Carlos on the shoulder hard as she walked her way in. The villain kids continued to party while Carlos hid from the party. They were already making a mess and he didn't want to know how big the mess will be until the party is over.

Evie shows up for the party wearing her best dress. Carlos comes out of hiding when he heard people murmuring about the daughter of Evil Queen. When he saw her, he felt his entire body get hotter, and he was pretty sure it wasn't because he was wearing a jacket in a warm room.

"Hey, Carlos," she greeted, waving at him.

Carlos approaches Evie, sweating nervously. He looks at her from bottom to top before putting on a sheepish smile.

"Is something wrong?" asked Evie.

"No," said Carlos. "You... you look great... beautiful, even."

Evie started to feel giddy from the compliment. "You really know how to flatter a girl, don't you?"

Carlos chuckles nervously. "Well, I'm sure everyone in this room would say the same thing."

"Okay, everyone! Eyes on me!"

Everyone stopped partying and faced Mal, who was trying to capture everyone's attention.

"It's time to play Seven Minutes in Heaven," said Mal.

Mal walks towards the blue-haired narcissist and drags her towards Cruella De Vil's closet.

"Uh, shouldn't a boy be walking in there with me?" asked Evie.

"Ha ha! You're funny," replied Mal, hiding her sarcasm.

Mal shoves Evie into the closet and slams the door shut. Carlos panicked. His mom's closet was full of bear traps. She could be hurt or killed in there. He wanted to get in there and save her, but he was scared.

- ROTTEN TO THE CORE -

Evie tried pounding on the door, but it was no use. Shen then begins to wonder if this was Mal's plan all along. To trap her in a closet full of bear traps?

All the matters now is getting out through the door on the other end of the closet. She tried to tiptoe around the bear traps, only to accidentally set off one. She started running as the bear traps snapped all around her.

She felt something grab her arm and pull her towards the door at the other side of the closet. She tried fighting to break free, feeling something furry. What she thought was a furry monster turned out to be a fur coat. The arm that grabbed her belonged to Carlos.

"Easy, Evie. It's just me," he said, trying to calm her down.

"Oh, thank badness," said Evie, trying to breathe. "How did you get in here?"

"This is my room," said Carlos sadly.

Evie looks around and sees a lumpy mattress on the floor. She couldn't help but feel kinda bad for Carlos. Bad enough his mother never cares if he's hurt but she forces him to sleep in a cold room on an uncomfortable mattress. Carlos told her that he wasn't allowed to use his mother's fur coats to keep himself warm.

Carlos takes Evie out through the back door and to his treehouse, where his secret laboratory is.

- ROTTEN TO THE CORE -

"Hey, uh, I never got to thank you for saving me," said Evie.

"You're showing gratitude?" asked Carlos, confused.

"I know. I know," said Evie, knowing she just broke a rule on being evil. "But I'd be dead if it wasn't for you."

"Well, I couldn't let my only friend die," said Carlos.

"I owe you big time," said Evie. "And I think I know how to repay you. I have so many pillows at home, so maybe I can give you one."

"Really?" Carlos sounded excited.

"Trust me. They're soft and fluffy," said Evie.

Carlos was blushing again. He didn't know if Evie cared or not, but he felt really grateful for her providing him something comfortable during his sleep.

"I'm glad I met you," said Carlos. "Really. I never though I'd ever make a friend."

"Well, I'm glad I met you too," said Evie, smiling at him.

Evie felt something inside her screaming to get closer to him. She puts her arms around the boy and hugs him tight. Carlos hugs her back. The two didn't let go of each other. They both felt safer in each other's arms.

"So, uh, can I see that device of yours?" asked Evie

Carlos showed Evie the black box again. Evie noticed a mix-up with the wiring and told Carlos. He adjusts the wires, only to end up accidentally blasting a hole through the roof. The blast hits the barrier and opens a small hole.

"Dalmatians!" Carlos cursed.

"Holy poison apples!" Evie exclaimed.