Chapter 7

"Carlos!"

Carlos had left his room again and roamed the castle. When Evie saw him, she started chasing him. At first, Carlos was scared, but when he found himself outrunning her, the adrenaline gave a sense of excitement.

"Too slow, princess," taunted Carlos.

"When I get you, I'm gonna reopen one of your scars," threatened Evie.

"You're gonna have to catch me first," Carlos taunted further.

As Evie ran, she sees Carlos jumping over fallen furniture, flipping and sliding under tables, and swinging on chandeliers. She couldn't help but admire his athleticism.

Realizing she can't catch him, she decided to change tactic.

Carlos continues running across the hallway. He looks over his shoulder to see if Evie is still behind him. He couldn't see her. He makes a left turn towards the kitchen, only to get tackled by the blue-haired princess.

They rolled around the floor until they stopped. Evie was on top of Carlos, pinning his arms to the floor.

"Got ya," said Evie.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Thought you were gonna reopen a scar," said Carlos.

"Tempting, but I prefer a more severe punishment," said Evie.

"And what would that be?" asked Carlos nervously.

Evie leans down. Carlos closes his eyes. However, he felt something soft on his lips. He opens his eyes and sees Evie kissing him. He felt his cheeks burn almost as hot as the fire that singed his arm.

Evie parts her lips from the boy's so she can see the look on his face. He looked either flustered, flabbergasted, or both. Whichever look it was, it amused Evie, as seen by her smirk.

"You're right. That was even worse," said Carlos. "My body feels like it's been at the desert."

"Did you still enjoy it?" asked Evie.

"I don't know how to answer that," said Carlos, still blushing.

"Evie!"

Evie and Carlos both gasp with fright at the sound of the voice coming from the one and only Evil Queen.

The villainess shows up and sees her daughter on top of a boy with white hair.

"Evie, what is the meaning of this?" asked Evil Queen. "Who is this boy?"

Thinking fast, Evie comes up with an explanation. "He's an intruder. He ran from me, but I caught him. I was just telling him that he's now my prisoner and personal slave."

"Well, we could use a manservant around here," said Evil Queen.

"Goodie," said Evie. "I'll, uh, take him to his room."

"He deserves a cell for breaking in here," said Evil Queen.

Carlos gulps, feeling intimidated by the Evil Queen.

"Don't worry. I'm gonna make sure he's both comfortable and miserable," said Evie.

Evie drags Carlos back to his room.

"Whew," Evie sighed with relief. "That was close."

"Being in the same room with your mom, definitely not on my bucket list," said Carlos.

"She wouldn't have seen you if you didn't leave your room, like I keep telling you to," said Evie.

"Evie, I've been cooped up here for three weeks. All my wounds and bruises are healed," said Carlos. "I can leave."

"Well, not happening," said Evie. "Now that mom knows you're here, you're staying here a little while longer."

"You could've just told her that you were kicking me out," said Carlos. "It's like you don't want me to leave."

"I... well... I, uh..." Evie couldn't think of a response.

"Why are you so bent on keeping me here?" asked Carlos.

Evie puts both her hands behind her back as she looks away, not knowing what to say to him.

"Does this have anything to do with the kiss?" asked Carlos.

"That was just me messing with you," insisted Evie.

"Then why won't you let me go?" asked Carlos.

"Because... because... because... I don't want to lose a friend," said Evie.

Carlos didn't say a word. He was surprised by Evie's words. He walks closer towards her and looks at her in the eyes. She can see sorrow from the thought of losing him and the desperation due to ten years of loneliness.

"You know what... I'll just tell mother you escape," said Evie.

Evie was about to leave the room, until Carlos grabbed her hand. She turns around and looks at him.

"All you had to do was say so," said Carlos. "Come to think, now I just feel stupid for trying to run away. You're the only friend I've ever had. What was I think about leaving you?"

"So, you'll stay?" asked Evie.

"For you, I'd stay here for the rest of my life," said Carlos.

"Or just until my first day at school," said Evie.

Carlos laughed a little and says, "Okay."

To Evie's surprise, Carlos puts his arms around her. This felt strange. Her mother never hugged her before. This was her first hug. It felt... good. So good that she puts her arms around him, hugging him back.

Evie can feel her ears tear up, but she didn't care. Carlos was staying with her and she's happy that he is.

"So, uh, are we ever gonna talk about that kiss?" asked Carlos.

Evie just giggled nervously.

Don't be afraid to leave a comment. I always appreciate it.