Chapter 5

Evil Queen was doing her daily routine of asking a non-existent magic mirror who is "The Fairest of Them All". Evie used this as the perfect time to drag a wagon towards Carlos' room undetected.

"Okay, I have everything you asked for," said Evie.

"Finally," said Carlos.

"The Isle's just as bad as I remembered," said Evie. "The only difference is that the villain kids have upped their wicked game."

"You get older, you can only get badder," said Carlos.

"Except you?" questioned Evie.

"Being a victim since childhood doesn't exactly help," said Carlos.

Carlos started sorting through all the equipment Evie brought him, trying to make sure she got everything he asked for.

"Hey, I told you to bring me a 1000-watt microwave, not a 700," said Carlos.

"To be honest, I didn't know what you meant when you said that," said Evie.

"Oh, you and I are so going be study buddies when you're in school," said Carlos.

"Gonna try to teach me to be smart?" asked Evie, putting a hand on her hip.

"Hey, intellect helps with evil plans," said Carlos.

"And what's your evil plan when you get out of here? Microwaving Auradon?" joked Evie.

"Ha ha," said Carlos sarcastically.

Evie just giggled.

"What are you planning on building anyway?" asked Evie.

"I noticed that your microwave was busted, so I thought I'd make you a new one, but not just a new. A better one," said Carlos.

"Wait, you left the room?" asked Evie.

"Uh, yeah," said Carlos nervously.

"I don't think you're understanding this," said Evie, shaking her head. "You're my prisoner, remember? You don't leave this room unless I tell you to."

"Okay, your highness," dissed Carlos.

"I would take that as an insult if that weren't true," said Evie, trying to keep herself from hurting the boy. "Can I help?"

Carlos accidentally drops the rusty pipe in his hands upon hearing Evie's words, feeling caught off guard.

"What?" asked Carlos.

"I was asking... insisting that I help you," said Evie.

"What is the frequency of a microwave and where does it ranks in the electromagnetic spectrum based on longest to shortest wavelength?" asked Carlos, testing the blue-haired narcissist.

"Don't even know what any of those words mean," said Evie.

"Then I'm gonna have to refuse," said Carlos. "Oh, and the answers are 300 gigahertz to 300 megahertz and second longest next to radio wave."

"Are those even real words?" asked Evie.

"You're no science enthusiast so you wouldn't know," said Carlos. Realizing how he sounded, he immediately says, "Sorry. Please don't hit me."

"I won't if you'll let me help you," said Evie.

"Why do you want to help me?" asked Carlos.

"I..." Evie paused, unprepared for an answer. "I guess I just... I just wanted to spend time with you."

Hearing Evie's words, Carlos, once again, drops the rusty pipe he was carrying.

"You want to teach me to be smarter, right? Here's your chance," said Evie.

Carlos looks up at Evie. He can see it in her face. She really does want to help him. Why she wants to spend time with him, he'll never know unless he asks, but he chooses not to. He just motions her to sit next to him.

Evie sits down next to Carlos. However, for Carlos, she was sitting way too close to him. Their shoulders brushed against each other and her hair was covering his left ear. He didn't mind. His cheeks burned and his chest felt like it was twisted, but these feelings were the reason he didn't mind.

Evie picks up a rectangular-shaped device with a meter, a dial, and two pen-like sticks attached to it.

"What's this?" asked Evie.

"It's a multimeter," answered Carlos. "It measures electric properties, like voltage, resistance, and current."

"I don't know what any of that means," said Evie.

"Well, I'll teach you," said Carlos.

Carlos picks up the microwave, only to lose his grip on it, until Evie caught it. The boy felt himself blushing again, only not knowing why. He looks under the microwave and sees that Evie's hand touched his.

"I swear you're doing that on purpose," said Carlos.

"Maybe, maybe not," said Evie with a sly smirk.

And so, Carlos and Evie started fixing the microwave together. Evie kept herself extremely close to Carlos, and the boy was too shy to do anything about it. He just went along with it.