Fifteen- The Claim

One hour.

One hour.

That's how long I've been sitting in my damn uncomfortable chair doing my hair and makeup. But hey, it's not easy looking this good. And I have to say, I did look good.

I settled on a shimmering gold eye shadow and a deep red lipstick. It took me twenty minutes alone just to get me eyeliner perfect. I curled my hair and pinned it up off my neck with about a thousand bobby pins. I was just attaching the back of my dangly gold earrings when I hear an excited knock on my door—no doubt it's Mai.

I sigh to myself and roll my eyes before I stand from my sitting position, damn my butt hurts.

I gather my rectangular gold clutch that I think I got from one of my past "boyfriends" and I slip my feet into tall gold pumps. What can I say, I don't settle for silver.

The knocking continues on my door and I shake my head as I finally open the door to see a very ecstatic Mai.

"I'm so enthralled!" Mai screams and tries to throw her arms around me.

"No!" I shout and push my hands out to keep the distance between us. "Do not ruin this perfection," I scold lightly.

"Oh, yeah, you're right," Mai admits bashfully.

"Are you ready?" I ask and look her up and down.

She really does look stunning in that dress.

Mai had her long dark hair braided in a loose French braid that cascaded over her shoulder in thick twists. She paired her bright yellow dress with a navy blue clutch that matched her dark blue heels.

"Yes, you idiot! Why else would I be knocking on your door?" She rolls her eyes and grabs my wrist. I allow Mai to pull me out of my room and I pull my door shut behind me. Mai leads me down the hallway to the large staircase where we pause and listen.

In the near distance, soft elegant music plays and people chatter lightly. I can hear the faint sound of glasses clinking together and some loud laughs. Mai and I share an excited glance before we descend the steps and cross the floor to the massive dinning room.

The decorations make the room look magical—and this is coming from me.

The yellow lights look like stars that litter the walls and ceiling. The large chandler catches the light and seems to shine twice as much as normal. The usual dinning table has been replaced with smaller round tables that are strategically scattered around the room donned with thick white table clothes and navy blue chairs. Each table has a different vase as a center piece and dark blue flower petals surround the base of the vase. I smile to myself as I recall carrying that heavy box with Mai.

"Where do we go first?" Mai asks, sounding very overwhelmed.

Members of the Riveredge Pack are already here and mingling with our own pack members. It is clear that a few wolves have already met their mates and are already deeply in love. I look around and find exactly who I am looking for.

"Come this way," I instruct, and lead Mai towards a Riveredge Pack member. I don't show down as I near him but I keep my smooth pace and pretend to not have even noticed him in the first place.

"Hey, Lenora!" I hear him call just as I pass him and I smirk to myself. I quickly replace my smirk with a surprised smile and then around to see the wolf that I met a few days ago while delivering paperwork to the Riveredge Pack.

"You again?" I laugh lightly though I am aware of Mai's confused glance between me and the boy.

"Yes, me again. I guess this means I can call you Lenora."