Twenty Eight- Calling All Bastards

Mai holds her hands over her ears and screams. Her face is a mix of pain and anger but she can't do anything to stop what is going on. She is completely powerless in this situation.

"Please," she begs, "make it stop!" She shakes her head side to side in an attempt to block out the pain from the torture but it never ends. "I'll do anything! Just shut the fuck up!"

"Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight!" I scream over her protests, "just a touch of the fire burning so bright! No I don't want to mess this thing up!"

"I don't want to push too far!" Eva joins in. Mai continues to whine as Eva and I carry on singing.

"Come on, Lady Antebellum is the best!" I tell over the blasting radio.

"Lies!" Mai squeezes her eyes shut and presses her hands tighter over her ears.

Eva laughs and turns the radio down slightly, "okay, we've tortured her enough."

I never would have guess in a million years that Eva and I would have something in common: country music. Too bad Mai was hell bent on listening to rap all the time.

"Fine, fine," I surrender and settle to just hum the tune instead.

"Next song, I get to chose," Mai mutters under her breath but let's be real, it's two to one, she doesn't stand a chance.

We had spent a few hours at the mall shopping around and I was glad to have an opportunity to talk to Eva for so long. I learned that Eva's parents were killed be rogues when she was little and that she was a packless wolf for years before she crossed the border and found Damon. We talked about our favorite colors, her's is orange; our biggest beauty mistakes, her's is over waxing her eyebrows; and even the one place we wish we could travel, her's is Rome.

"I really had a good time today," Eva glances at me out of the corner of her eye. She turned out to be sweeter than I gave her credit for. As soon as we stared talking, I immediately regretted the way I first reacted when I met her.

"I'm glad. Look, I've been meaning to find the right way to say this, but...I'm sorry for how I treated you when we first met." I rush the words out as fast as I can to avoid dragging out the awkwardness.

"Nora, I forgave you for that a long time ago. Damon told me, you know, I made him tell me and while he could only tell me what was on his side—well, I can only imagine how it must have been on yours." Eva takes a hand off the steering wheel to grip mine that rests in my lap.

"What do you mean 'his side'?" I ask and shift in my seat to face her more head on.

"I don't know what he told you, but he was really worried about you for weeks."

Damon was worried about me? The thought seems almost impossible considering the way things ended—the way things were. He told me that he pretended and that he didn't love me. But why then would it hurt him to see me go? Especially when he had a mate.

Eva must have noticed my furrowing eyebrows and perplexed expression because she retracts her hand from mine and apologizes quickly, "I didn't mean to make you upset."

Too lost for words, Mai jumps in to cover for me, "the ways things ended between her and Damon...they weren't pretty to say the least. I don't mean any disrespect, Luna, but the things he did were—"

"Terrible," Eva interrupts, her gaze set on the road in front of her. "Yes, I know. What he did was not right and trust me he paid for it." A slight remembrance of a smirk flashed across her face before disappearing all together.

"I don't want to talk about that anymore," I finally find my voice and recollect myself. "We are almost home, when we get there we need to start planning."