Thirty Two- The Unnamed Bastard Finally Has A Name

Maika! I scream through the mindlink. It's the Bastard the one who wouldn't tell me his name. He's the red wolf that's how he knew of the plan and attacked first that's why he never told me his name that's why he's been so interested in me.

There is still no reply but there isn't enough time to allow myself to worry. I have to get help.

I zig zag through the unfamiliar forest relying on my senses to draw me toward the Maple Pack House. Guards charge me when they see me but I keep running up to the front door.

I need to speak to the Alpha and Luna. My pack is under attack led by someone from this pack.

The guards incline their heads and follow my heels. The alpha and Luna of Maple Wood meet me at the door dressed in robes hurriedly tied around their waists.

"What is wrong, child?" The Luna steps towards me and her husband reaches a hand out to her shoulder protectively. How an alpha and Luna should be.

My pack is under attack and I think it—

"Is something wrong?" The familiar voice of the unnamed bastard causes my ears to turn up and my eyes to flicker to the top of the stairs behind the alpha of Maple Wood Pack head. There he stands in all his cockiness with disheveled bed hair blonder than the sun and sleepy eyes still blinking from the bright lights.

How?

I don't voice my questions and instead sink into an aggressive crouch and bare my teeth in a snarl. The alpha yanks the Luna behind his back and the guards over my shoulder growl and creep closer.

"Rick has been here the entire night. I assure you, he is not the rogue attacking your pack," The Luna speaks from behind the alpha's broad shoulders.

I didn't take her for a liar. And his blonde hair does not match the red furred wolf.

But then why did the tunnels lead me here?

"We will send wolves to help your pack but I assure you, Lenora, no member from this pack has plotted against our closest allies," the alpha commands and I rise out of my crouch.

I'm sorry, nothing is making much sense, I apologize and feel my throat swell. Black dots dance the edge of my vision and my head pulses to the rapid beat of my heart.

It's all too much. Who can I trust when so many have hurt me? How can I believe in myself when I won't give myself a chance?

"Lenora," the bastard—who's name I've recently learned is Rick— steps forward with his palms up and facing me. In his eyes I see nothing but concern and worry. "Just breathe, Lenora. I will help you."

I shake my head a few times to clear my vision and push down the fear that threatens to claw me to shreds from the inside out. I can't afford to be weak now when others are depending on me to be strong.

The alpha finds my eyes, "show us where they are."

With a sharp nod I push off into the endless night towards the howling in the distance with warriors from my neighboring pack trailing behind me. The howls grow louder as we burst through the forest in streaks of dark fur. My nose is suddenly hit with the overwhelming scent of blood thick in the air. It fills my lungs and I hold back a gag as acidic bile burns the back of my throat raw.