Chapter 12 - the interview (again)

Ok now it was time for the second interview, time to present my crucial evidence... time to save Bermudo from suicide. I tried hard to block that from my mind, it was such a painful thought that I couldn't fully digest it. 

I went to the station with my mum again, not wanting to have to do this alone, just in case HE suddenly had an urge to kill me, over himself. Right now I wasn't so confident of myself, so that would be totally likely. 

when we arived we were met by the same yells as before. Giving me a distinct feeling of deja vu. I so wished that things wouldn't go as badly as before. As we entered the same old room, Bermudo gave me the same old look and I had the same old feeling of forboding rising inside me. 

He spoke first this time, shocking the policeman into action.

"so, are we going to get this over with now? Or wait till I go crazy?" I could feel his glare all over me, 

he looked depressed, like he hadn't slept for days. His usual crisp clean red jacket was sweaty, wrinkled and creased, from the disgusting thing he'd tried to do the night before, and his hair was no longer perfectly combed, it was infact messy, almost as if he'd just fallen out of bed.

"we-well... yes. Girl, do you have your supposed crucial evidence you said you would provide by today?" the policeman quavered as he said this, he sounded nervous. Like he wasn't sure wether he was being totally serious. 

All I did was nod, I didn't want to spill out any more rubbish which might hurt Bermudo, or me for that matter. I pulled the dvd slowly out of my pocket, and handed it to the officer. The tv and dvd combi stood in the corner, so he walked over slowly and fumbled with the controls ("sorry, it's new") before the disc drawer popped out, and he inserted the disc. I had only captured the most important part of the screen, dad's webcam image and the conversation box. 

It was a nervous wait, watching the stout officer stand and tap his foot, just as my mum had done that fateful day when she first found out about my (then) online friend. it took about 5 minutes for the video to play, and all the time the man was stood, right infront of the tv, ever tapping his foot. Once it was over he turned round slowly, and looked at me. me not the one that was actually under arrest for rape. Bermudo scowled at me, and back at him. ME, had this become more about me and my evidence than him? 

It took the dull witted officer a while to realise exactly what he had to do next, but when he did it was very awkward 

"well... this is very convincing"

"thank you officer" I say looking at my feet 

"Are you sure that this isn't faked?" he said, looking at me sternly, as if it really was

"No, it's not. I recorded this on my own computer, on my own msn account talking to my own father"

"so, you saay that that man was your father..."

"yes, yes he is."

"well, do you have proof?" 

BAM Bermudo slammed his hand on the table, oh god, not again. He was falling apart, I could see it in his face. his rage was at boiling point, I wondered how long he was going to hold it in. 

"WHAT THE HELL?!?! SHE SAID THAT IT'S NOT FAKED, I DON'T THINK IT WAS FAKED, WOULD YOU GO AGAINST HER (he pointed at me) JUST TO GET YOUR SICK LITTLE THRILL? YOU ARE AN ARSE YOU KNOW THAT, A TOTAL ARSE!" I blinked, what on earth was he doing? He must have  been holding this all in, now he was letting it out. "this really isn't the time" I whisper, hoping he hears me, and..

"DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GO INTO PRISON JUST BECAUSE YOU CANNOT BE ARSED TO GET PROPPER PROOF? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING? I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME, NOW I'M NOT TOO SURE. I DON'T KNOW ANY MORE... TELL ME NOW, DO-YOU-CARE-ABOUT-ME!" I really didn't know what to say to this except "I DO care about you" but all he did was laugh. 

"Why should I believe that? honestly, i don't believe you. I was stuck in here, you could've helped me by finding actual evidence, but all you get is an msn conversation, and a video of your dad. How am I supposed to respect that?" I was shaking, the silence made my ears hurt, how could he do this to me? Did he really hate me or was he just actually insane? My world was falling apart as much as his, I could NOT loose him, if I did I would probably die. It would be like romeo and juliet, except we don't love each other, I love him and he doesn't love me, stop... I don't know... do i love him? Oh I really don't know anymore. I respected him, and thought he was fantastic... but I don't know if I was ready to say I loved him. 

we all sat, in complete silence. until it got unbearable and mum chirped up "officer, I have more evidence" What on earth? was she just bluffing? 

It turned out she wasn't because with in a moment, she pulled her phone out of her pocket and said "I do hope he's still drunk" the police officer continued to simply stand there, looking utterly perplexed. Mum didn't seem to mind, she simply called the number. "You can record this if you like? " as she said this the dim police officer ran out of the door, bringing a dictation recorder and another more serious officer. This was it, the last chance to get this right, the last chance to save Bermudo.. 

it started off with a simple "hello"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------