6. Projection

If we turn away from our own pain, we may find ourselves projecting this aversion onto others, seeing them as somehow inadequate for being in a troubled situation.” – Sharon Salzberg.

•••

“Lekan, you’re such a well-mannered young man.”

Sophia Ekeugo commended Lekan’s chivalry for the umpteenth time during dinner. Just like Tiolu had anticipated, the night was indeed dreadful for her. It would seem she was the only one on the table that seemed to be dwelling in discomfort and unease, everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

The two families sat on the relatively large table of eight seats; three seats on each side, and two on each ends of the table. Both fathers occupied both seats at the end of the table, whilst their wives sat by their right. The rest of them however occupied random seats. Tiolu’s seat was in the middle on one side of the table, just on her left and right was her mom and Lekan respectively, and the seat opposite hers was occupied by Chile who seemed to be more engrossed in staring at her, than eating his meal.

Ugh!

He was probably just like K.C., and every other vain man out there who never really had to work for their money. That was why she couldn’t keep a long, lasting relationship with people of such caliber. Not necessarily because they were arrogant and thought that they were better off than anyone else, no it was far from that. It was because such people found it difficult to expend any reasonable amount of effort, or dedication into any devotion of theirs because of the fact that virtually all their possessions had been handed down to them on a golden plate.

Chile’s gaze was very unsettling, and nauseating. He didn’t stare at her the way a proper, gentle-man would, no his gaze pierced hers in a way which hinted at sexual mischief and intention. Randomly, his gaze would stray off her face and linger on her chest and although he couldn’t lower his gaze down further, she knew all sorts of abominable thoughts were habiting his mind.

She couldn’t wait to get the dinner over with.

“So, Lekan your meet with a client was the reason you were delayed right?” Sophia continued, her gaze fixated on the plate of chicken wings she was sharing with her husband. “I knew there had to be some reason to keep you late.”

Oh, please.

Lekan lit up with a smile, as he lodged a piece of chicken into his mouth. “Of course, ma’am I could have rounded things up and proceeded with my other appointments earlier but because of Tiolu I couldn’t…”

What!

“…she lost her source of transport, and forced me into bringing her here alongside with myself. I explained that I wasn’t planning on arriving so early but she compromised my flowers and threatened to smash them if I didn’t drop her off. So I had to drop her off here first, before returning to my appointment.”

Oh, God.

Tiolu buried her face in her palms, with her elbows propped on the table and grunted internally. Slaughter – was too little a word to ascribe to the sort of vengeful action she’d take on her brother after the dinner. He just had to run his mouth, and say nonsense all the time. It wasn’t like she really cared about what the Ekeugos thought of her. To hell with them. No, her frustration stemmed from the fact that she was actually irked at her brother’s demeanor earlier in Ikeja.

Who did that? Grab a bunch of flowers and zoom off in his car? It was so insensitive, care-free and immature. Was he really that determined in opposing her? She knew if she were in his shoes, she’d have never done such thing. She knew he was just being silly, but it actually hurt her. A lot actually, but she wasn’t about to express her distress on the matter. No, she wasn’t about to look like she was fazed as a result of his stupidity. It would only implore him to do something similar later on in the future.