20. Blank Space

Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.” – Harriet Evans.

•••

Mr. Tijani, what are your plans now that you’ve returned to the country once again…”

“Just about a year ago, you took off after a month without reason and here you are once more…”

“Are you going to be around for another month, before you take off…”

Dayo maneuvered through hordes of press staff and media, in the arrival lounge. Damn it, he thought. Where the hell was Victor? He was supposed to have arrived about an hour ago, just like he had promised. Well, he wasn’t surprised. He knew better than to trust his best-friend with matters pertaining to punctuality.

Should have sucked it up and called – Deji, instead.

He and his younger brother weren’t on the best of terms, ever since his past departure. Matter of fact, he wasn’t really on good terms with any member of his family anymore. Except Dolapo, who still found time to call him, but she was just seventeen and a fresh-man in college. She didn’t have a license yet.

“Hey, you’re back so early!” A voice from behind brought his mind back to the present, and he wore a frown as he turned around.

“I should be the one saying that, Vic.” Dayo growled. “And my tone should be laced with sarcasm, because well you’re way behind schedule.”

“Don’t blame me, how am I sure you wouldn’t decide out of the blues to stay put in the US.” Victor smirked, and motioned to the barricade of men to fend the press off. At least he had done something reasonable in the compensation of his lateness, Dayo thought. “You know the same way you decided to take off last year after you got your heart broken.”

Don’t be melodramatic,” Dayo said, as they commenced the short walk to the garage of the airport. “You’re not my mom or girlfriend, who I have to keep on apologizing for a deed of the past. If you can’t get over with it, and move on then that’s your problem.”

“Perhaps, I should get it over with, move on and leave you stranded here in the airport then at the mercy of the mob.” Victor joked, a devilish smile dancing at the edges of his lips. “Anyway, how long do you intend on staying this time around. Or rather, how long do you intend on tricking us, before you take off again?”

“Once again, if you can’t get it over with, You know what not to do.” Dayo quipped, invoking a light chuckle from his friend. “I’m back for real, Vic. Like for real. The only time I’d be leaving this country, is when I want to take a break. You know like a vacation of the sorts, I want to settle down finally.”

“Really,” Victor’s nose scrunched. They were in the garage already – headed towards a segment of cars. “What about your books? You don’t need to be there, anymore?”

“Nope, I reached a deal with Penguin.” Dayo cleared his throat. About a year ago, when he returned to US and to former agency – Harper Collins, to resume his work; the agency hadn’t been so hot on the new idea of his book. His change of genre, and so they had turned the manuscript down despite his success status in the company. He was bewildered, and took off straight to the nearest house interested and that was Penguin.

“I don’t need to be there to pen a book. All I have to do is write, and collate through online means with my editor.”

“And this individual happily accepted the nature of such stress?”