9. Catastrophizing

You largely constructed your depression. It wasn’t given to you. Therefore, you can deconstruct it.” – Albert Ellis.

•••

“So, I’ve gone through the potential art-covers and I find them very simple for a book in the fantasy genre.”

Dayo tended in the complaint during the department conference. It was the first Wednesday of the month, and protocol called for all heads of department to converge in the conference room for a brief meeting with him – the Publisher. It was the first ever official summit since he got back, and he wanted to make a good impression. He wanted to exude the traits and character of a likeable personality, because he believed it was key towards igniting an efficient working relationship.

“When people pick up a book about fantasy, they want to read something wild, absurd, obscure, impossible, logic-defying, you know every other abnormal attribute in existence. And when a cover doesn’t exactly depict these aforementioned qualities? Then, the reader would begin to doubt if the novel would have such qualities. Then it wouldn’t matter about how good the piece is anymore, because the art-cover has failed. They say – don’t judge a book by its cover, but we all know reverse is the case these days. Books are indeed judged by their covers, so I’m sorry we’re going to have to make some serious alterations to the Creative department.”

The female executive, occupying the second seat on his left – replied. “I’m sorry, sir but I don’t think there are more artists out there that would be up for such work. It would just be another grandiose task to embark upon, looking for new talent I mean. Besides, the general public isn’t exactly expressing distaste on the matter–”

“It still doesn’t make it right!” Dayo cut her off by banging his fists hard into the table. “If you take a meal of moderate standard and serve to people who are hungry, would you expect a complaint? No, not really because something is of good quality, doesn’t mean it at its best. Just because our covers are good, and our readers are satisfied doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do better. It’s this sort of attribute that is inhibiting this country from moving forward. This – complacency. We have to rise above it, and defy the status quo. We should always strive to produce the utmost best, even if the quality in place is being wildly appreciated. That’s the spirit of a true victor.”

The head seemed convinced by his words, owing to her action of leaning backwards into her seat and heaving a sigh of comprehension. With her hands still clasped on the table, she enquired. “So, what exactly do you want us to do sir? The graphic art department isn’t too mainstream in our community, and finding individuals with such skill might prove to be quite dazing.”

Dayo swirled his head around in a circle to erase some stiffness, before proceeding. “It isn’t as difficult as you label it to be really. There are many individuals out there in the general community who possess skills in such department. But nevertheless, there is an easy way to find them. Such people are numerous on Wattpad, and every other online literature community. All you have to do is reach out to them and give them our mission statement.”

“But majority of them would be foreigners–” The woman interrupted.

“And so what? You have to stop thinking 21st century, and start thinking next generation. Does a graphic artiste need to be here physically before he or she can work for us? They design graphics right, and we’re not the ones providing them with equipment. Even if they need equipment, we can easily sponsor them in getting required materials. I don’t think they have to report into our building or be here physically before they can make graphics, right? So, why can’t we reach out to them? Is there any other contingency I’m not seeing, perhaps?”