Chapter 6 - So Close

Murphy's POV

I ended up skipping the rest of my classes. I didn't really care that I was going to get in trouble. I just needed to get away from him. I found myself sitting at the top of the bleachers, drawing in my notebook. Drawing helps calm me down. It's just so soothing. Seeing my imagination come to life on a page. It's amazing really.

Last bell rings and students come flooding out of the building. I sigh and put my stuff back in my bag, standing up and making my way back to the front of the school. When I get there, I stand on the corner, waiting for Emori. I scroll through Instagram on my phone. I was so distracted, I didn't notice someone walking up to me.

"Murphy. You still coming over?" I look up and see a smiling Bellamy. Oh, right. I forgot about that. But I can't say no now. I already told him I would.

"Yeah. Sure." I say, quickly texting Emori that she would have to walk by herself.

"Great! I can give you a ride. Come on." He says happily, turning and walking towards his car, not waiting for me to catch up. I guess his happiness wore off on me because I let out a little chuckle and jogged over to catch up with him.

"Wait up!" I say while running to catching up with him. He looks over his shoulder and smiles. His smile makes me melt. How could one man make me feel this way? We get to his car and get in. He puts his keys in the ignition and starts it, quickly pulling out of the parking lot and driving away.

***

We pull up to a nice house with a little pink bike out front. Damn, he has a nice house. It's Bellamy Blake. What did I expect? We get out and he leads me to the front door. He opens the door and walks in, but I hesitate.

"Come on in, Murphy." He says, looking back at me. I slowly step inside, closing the door behind me. A shorter woman with long brown hair walked in. She was quite beautiful. So that's where Bellamy gets his good looks from. She walked over and hugged Bellamy, kissing him on the cheek.

"Hey, honey. Who is this?" She asks sweetly, smiling at me.

"Mom, this is Murphy. He's a friend from school. We're gonna hang out for a little while." Bellamy answers. I give her a shy smile.

"Hello Mrs. Blake. You have a very nice house." I say, trying to make a good first impression. Probably not the best considering I'm wearing a grey, baggy sweater, black skinny jeans and a black beanie. But she doesn't seem to notice. Her smile brightens.

"Nice to meet you, Murphy. Please, call me Aurora." I nod at her and she walks off into another room.

"Be good, boys!" She calls over her shoulder, making me blush a little. Then, I hear a squeal and footsteps pattering on the hardwood floor.

"Big brother!" A little girl yells, running through the room, long black hair flowing behind her. Bellamy quickly bends over and picks her up, making her giggle.

"Octavia, this is Murphy. He's a friend of mine." He introduces me. The little girl waved furiously at me.

"Hi Murphy!" She says cheerfully. I chuckle and wave back.

"Nice to meet you, Octavia." I reply, reaching out and shaking her tiny hand. She laughs even more.

"I like Murphy, Bellamy! He's cool!" Octavia cheers to Bellamy. Bellamy smiled at her, setting her down.

"I'm glad, O. Now, go play." He says, rubbing the top of her head as she runs off.

"Let's go upstairs." He says. I nod and he leads me down a hallway and up a staircase to a spacious bedroom. His room is a lot neater than I thought. White walls, hardwood flooring, a bed with red sheets perfectly made. Bookshelves lining one wall, a radio sitting on the top shelf with CD's lining either side of it. It's a lot different than my room with blue walls with band posters on every open space. I set my bag down on the floor and look around for a few seconds. Bellamy sits down on his bed, motioning for me to do the same. I walk over to his bed, sitting down like it would break if I made one wrong move.

"Nice room, man." I say, breaking the awkward silence.

"Thanks. So, uh... where did you go after lunch today? I noticed you weren't in any of our classes." He asks, looking at me with what looked like concern on his face. I rub the back of my neck, a nervous habit.

"I went... outside. I sat on the bleachers. I needed to get away. You know, same old drama." I say, trying to play it cool.

"Listen. I'm really sorry about Finn. I don't like that he's such an ass to you." Bellamy says. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded up piece of paper.

"I believe this is yours. I wanted to give it back." He says with a smile. He hands me the paper and I unfold it to see the same paper Finn took from me at lunch. I feel my cheeks get hot with embarrassment. I quickly put it in my pocket.

"I- uh... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have drawn that. I can leave if you-" I quickly say, standing up. Bellamy gently grabs my wrist and pulls me back down.

"You don't have to be sorry, Murphy. I-I thought it was nice." He stutters, a blush crawling across his face as well. Alright, I can't take this anymore.

"Why are you so nice to me? It's not like I deserve it. Why aren't you an ass like the rest of your friends?" I blurt, looking into his eyes. A small smirk played on his lips, along with a redness on his cheeks.

"Murphy, I don't think you realize how much you really deserve. You deserve so much better than the way you're treated by them. I guess I'm the only one who realizes that you deserve to be happy just as much as anyone else does. I'm being nice because you deserve it." He answers. I blush madly, turning away to try and conceal it. I feel his hand on my chin as he turns my head to look at him.

"You're cute when you blush." He says, catching me completely off-guard. I feel butterflies in my stomach. My skin tingling at his touch.

"Y-you know that I-I like you, right?"

"Yeah." He face turns red as he pulls his hand away. My skin burns from the absence of his.

"Do you like me?" I ask, nervous for the answer. He look down at the ground, then back to my eyes.

"I-I... I think I do." He stutters. I feel him start to lean in, and I do the same. His eyes flutter shut as we get closer and closer. Centimeters from each other. My heart is beating out of my chest. I am about to kiss Bellamy Blake. The king of high school likes me back.

"Big brother!" Octavia shouts, causing us to jump, pulling away from each other. Bellamy mouths a few curse words before standing up and walking to the door.

"What O?" He says, pretending like his lips weren't just almost on mine.

"Mom says that the pizza is here and Murphy can stay if he wants too." She squeaks before skipping back down the stairs. Bellamy turned around to look at me, exhaling deeply. I sigh then stand up, walking over to him.

"Are you going to stay?" He asks. "There's plenty of food." He says. I shake my head. As much as I wanted to stay, my mother is already going to beat my ass for not coming straight home.

"I should probably head home. My mom is going to be pissed at me." I reply, picking my bag up off the floor. I hear Bellamy sigh, but ignore it. I was about to walk down the stair when I stop and turn around. I pull the paper out of my pocket and hand it to him.

"Keep it." I say, before walking down the stairs and to the door. I say goodbye to Aurora and Octavia, little Octavia insisting on giving me a hug. I give a silent smile to Bellamy and walk out the door, making my way back home.