Chapter 37 - Family Time

Murphy's POV

I sit on the back porch with Bellamy and Aurora, Octavia chasing little Lexa around the yard. Their laughter fills the air as they roll around in the leaves, the red and yellow leaves sticking to their fleece jackets. Lexa had acclimated quickly to her new environment and it was very clear that she was quite fond of her Auntie Octavia. I smile to myself, watching them play in the leaves, the cool air nipping at my skin.

"She's so beautiful. You two are so lucky. She seems like she loves you too." Aurora says, beaming over her new granddaughter.

"She is. I couldn't be happier, now that she's in our lives." I respond, turning to look at her and smiling. Bellamy takes my hand and squeezes it, the pride obvious in his eyes.

"We'll be getting her into school sometime next week. She's really excited about it." Bellamy informs, glancing over at the girl.

"That's good. She's a smart girl." Aurora replies, smiling. We spend the rest of the afternoon talking and watching the girls play, eventually retiring to the house once it gets too cold. After Octavia and Aurora left, Bellamy, Lexa and I cuddle up on the couch, watching a movie that Bellamy had bought for her. Lexa cuddles up between us, watching the screen intently.

"Dad, I'm hungry." She says, turning to look at me.

"Ok, baby. I'll make some dinner. Anything you want, Bell?" I ask, looking over Lexa's head. He shakes his head and looks at me.

"No, I'm ok." I nod and stand up, kissing the top of Lexa's head, then planting a soft kiss on Bell's lips before walking off to the kitchen. I get out a pot and fill it with water, preparing to make spaghetti, one of Lexa's favorites. I hum a little tune to myself, shaking my hips a little while I cook.

Bellamy's POV

John bounces off to the kitchen to make dinner and Alexa scoots closer to me, resting her head on my chest and pulling her baby blue blanket up around her shoulders. I wrap an arm around her, holding her close and watching the movie I almost regret buying. She's watched it so many times in the past couple weeks that she almost it memorized. But she likes it, so I'll sit through it endless times.

"Daddy?" Her high-pitched voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Yes, darling?" I respond, looking to her cute, little face.

"How did you and Dad meet?" She asks, a curious little smirk forming on her lips. Shit. At least it's not the 'where-do-babies-come-from' talk.

"Well," I huff. "Dad and I met in high school. Some people were being mean to him, so I started being his friend. Then, we just kinda fell in love." I say slowly, hoping I'm saying the right thing. She smiles, blushing slightly.

"That's sweet. I hope I meet someone like Daddy one day." She finally responds, her eyes lighting up. I smile, not really at her, but at the memories I've made over the years of being with John.

"It really is. Dad is a good man. I hope you find someone like him." I tell her, kissing her forehead. She smiles wildly and throws herself onto me, hugging me tightly. I wrap my arms around her tiny body and hug her close.

"Dinner!" John calls from the kitchen.

"Let's go eat, butterfly." I say softly, standing up and setting her down on the ground. She hops away, skipping off into the kitchen as I follow close behind. Three plates of spaghetti sit at the bar and I help Lexa up into one of the high stools. I sit on one side over her, John on the other. Lexa practically bounces in her seat as she shovels a forkful of spaghetti into her mouth.

"Mmmmm. That's good, dad. Thank you!" She smiles, setting her fork down to hug Murphy. He takes her into his arms happily, rubbing her back.

"You're welcome, baby. Now eat your food before it gets cold." He responds with a smile. Lexa nods and continues to eat; I smile at him over her head. He smiles back and we both begin to eat, making jokes and talking with each other.

***

I clean up the dishes and Lexa flounces off to the living room to continue watching her movie. I dump the plates into the sink, turning on the water and adding some soap to the water. As I begin to wash the dirty dishes, I feel a pair of arms snake around my waist.

"Hey, baby." I smirk, continuing with my work.

"Hi. Thanks for doing the dishes for me." He says sweetly, kissing the space between my neck and shoulder. I feel him rest his face against my back, swaying his body so we're caught in a little dance. We sway to an unknown song, my hands still working at the chore in front of me, but slowing quickly. After a while, I set the dish I was working on back in the water and drying my hands, turning around to face John. His face is relaxed, his eyes tired, but happy. I wrap my arms around his waist and he moves up to my neck, resting his head on my shoulder. Bodies pressed together, we move to a song of our own, slowly moving in circles around the kitchen.

"I love you, Bell." Murphy says gently, his eyes closed and relaxed.

"I love you too, John." I say lovingly, running my hand up his back. I hear a little snicker from the doorway. I turn my head to the side, seeing Lexa smiling before scampering off to her room. I chuckle to myself, kissing the top of Murphy's head. "Come on, John. Let's put Lexa to bed, then you. You're about to fall asleep standing." He hums a response and I lead him down the hall to Lexa's room.