CHAPTER 06: Champagne

CHAPTER 06: CHAMPAGNE

In remembering, you would have to break all over again.

----------

 "See?! See?! See?! Told ya', didn't I?"

"Shut up," Kosuke sighed as he crossed the yellow caution tape surrounding the Dasera Hotel and headed back to his car. Following him persistently was Kaoru Saori, whom he previously asked to accompany him to the explosion site that morning.  He soon regretted the favor he asked as the junior police newbie started to grate on his nerves.

"No bomb fragments! The diameter of the blast, the most likely origin of the blast, even the lab results that came back just this morning repeated for the tenth time – nothing has changed as far as the initial findings are concerned. You've seen it and I've proven it! It's a kitchen fire aggravated by a gas leak! Now tell me I'm a 'good-for-nothing'!" Saori said, making faces that irritated Kosuke more.

"Fine! Just so that you can shut up!" Kosuke said, scratching his ears. He took out his car key and clicked the button to unlock the door of his black sedan. When Kosuke was about to reach for the door of his car, he frowned as Saori stood next to him as if waiting for him to do something absurd like offer her a ride.

"Well, uhm... Ahahahaha!  Geez," Saori bit her lip. "So, I won the bet, didn't I? That means you owe me one."

"Owe you what?" Kosuke asked.

"I'd be fine with a bottle of champagne maybe?" Saori grinned. "Say, hmm... Pick me up at eight tonight?"

"Get in."

"What?"

"I said get in."

"Eh?"

"Get in the car, now."

"There?!" Saori shrieked.

Losing his patience, Kosuke grabbed Saori's arm and dragged her into his car. Saori tried to struggle, but his grip was too tight that it was impossible to break loose. Before she knew it, Kosuke already entered the car and started the engine.

"Where are you taking me?!" Saori asked. Then, a playful grin formed on her lips, "Aha, I knew you had the hots for me! I understand that it's too hard to control hormones sometimes. We're not getting younger either, if you know what I mean, boohoohoo!"

Kosuke did not answer.

"Can't wait to take me out for a champagne treat, huh? Well, I'm sorry to say this, but I wanted the champagne, not you," Saori said. "I just thought that, because you're rich, you must have some really good champagne on your cellar. For your information and for point of clarification, I'm NOT interested in men like you."

Kosuke still did not answer.

"Tsk. Too serious. C.R.E.E.P.Y." Saori muttered to herself.

Then, Kosuke steered the wheel of the car and stepped on the gas. Saori involuntarily jerked forward as he drove in a hasty manner.

"H-Hey, why don't you drive a little slowly?" Saori said as she grasped the seat-belt to buckle up. "Don't you know that if you take things a little slower, you'll be able to appreciate them better?"

"A little slower," Kosuke sighed. He suddenly recalled that night eight years ago - that night he bought a motorcycle and took Ayane for a ride for the first time.

But now... I already know why you drive fast...

In speed, everything's a blur. In a blur, you fail to comprehend. 
It goes to the point where you are able to forget... even temporarily.